Job Title:Account Director
Department: Journey Delivery
Reporting to:Client Lead
Key reports:Account Manager, Account Executive
The Account Director sits within our Journey Delivery function and holds a pivotal role responsible for ensuring that every step taken throughout the Purchase Journey on behalf of the client by the Wavemaker team is maximized for effectiveness and efficiency. You are the beating heart of the agency, driving best in class media, tech & content solutions for clients.
The Account Director’s role can broadly be split into three key areas of responsibility:
Firstly, you will manage and oversee the delivery of the Purchase Journey. Within WM, you will act as the glue between Journey Design (media planning & strategy) and Journey Activation, striving for operational excellence, ensuring that all stakeholders perfectly activate the Journey, to budget, to targeted KPIs, and on time. You will excel at stakeholder management and project management and be an expert collaborator.
Secondly, you will be the day-to-day voice of the client within the team. You will provide the client and any other external stakeholders with a continuous clear line of sight of their investment throughout the Purchase Journey, and act as the client’s primary point of contact once the campaign is approved. You will report back with ongoing checks on the status of the campaigns, discuss opportunities for enhancement and optimisations, reviewing reports and the overall performance of the Journey, and in general ensure that the client is fully informed
Thirdly, you will have line management responsibility for any Account Mangers and, where appropriate, Account Executives within your team. You will manage and support them day-to-day, assisting them with workload management, delegating where appropriate and training them to ensure that they are developing quickly and successfully.
The role takes in two of our most important and long-standing clients, WM Morrisons and Bupa.
Morrisons are the 4th largest supermarket in the UK and one of the longest client relationships at Wavemaker, having been with the agency for over 20 years. Wavemaker have closely supported Morrisons through a period of restructuring to return the company to sustainable growth. Since 2015 Morrisons have enjoyed YoY growth as part of a recovery plan to make the business more competitive.
Our scope for Morrisons covers all media planning and buying across national and regional media. The clients are strong believers in the ‘traditional media’ channels of TV, Print & Radio as they deliver reach cost efficiently and are the key battleground for supermarkets. As well as delivering best in class media planning and buying, we also work with Morrisons on expanding their ecommerce offering within Groceries, Food to order, Nutmeg Fashion and the newly launched Eat Fresh offering (similar to Hello Fresh). This involves liaising closely with Morrisons to deliver Paid Search, digital display and social plans.
Most Recently we helped them deliver their fourth Christmas with like for like sales growth at Christmas which, in a tough market, was a strong result. 2019 will see further integration of ecommerce into the marketing plans and a renewed focus on the role of social media in the marketing plans. We’re also working with Morrisons on strategic partnerships with Amazon and Google and how best to manage the integration of customer data.
Bupa have been a client at WM for over 8 years, and we deliver best in class marketing across Brand & Performance campaigns. Bupa are market leaders in Private Medical Insurance, Dental Care, on-demand medical provision and Care Home Services, which requires branding and portfolio management skills in equal measure. Our planning is underpinned by regular econometric and brand health tracking, which help us balance long and short-term objectives. Bupa’s business model is ever-evolving as the needs and wants of consumers change – for example a recent innovation into DNA health profiling, and the increasing importance of mental wellbeing are two areas growing in importance.
Manage and oversee the delivery of the Purchase Journey:
- Ensure that all stakeholders perfectly activate the media plans, to budget, to targeted KPIs, and on time within Wavemaker.
- Work closely with the Senior Journey Activation team to ensure the day to day is run efficiently and effectively and control the process from the point at which the investment is signed off by the client, and it is briefed to Journey Activation for buying and optimization
- Take leadership on the management and delivery of the Purchase Journey after it has been signed off by the client, working closely with Activation.
- Manage the ‘project plan’ for executing the Purchase Journey – know exactly what needs to be delivered by when and by whom, ensuring all deadlines are met, engaging regularly with internal teams to keep everyone on track and on time, and being a central point of communication between Activation and the client
- Liaise with agency partners to ensure they are fully aware of activities and have all the detail needed to fulfill their role
- Ensure excellent collaboration between Journey Delivery team and all other functions within the integrated team
- Work collaboratively with other specialist teams within WM where required to enable excellence in execution throughout the Purchase Journey (e.g. TAPP, WM Content etc.)
- Ensure Activation teams are reporting regularly on the progress of the Journey, have clear sight of performance vs KPIs, stay abreast of optimisation decisions made by Activation, and escalate where necessary when significant changes to the Journey are required (i.e. when the plan needs to be adjusted significantly for budget, timing or other needs)
Be the day-to-day voice of the client within the team:
- Communicate to all external stakeholders, chiefly within the client’s business, the precise status of their investments throughout the Journey, and ensure everyone involved is appropriately informed, aware and consulted at all times.
- Build strong mid-level client relationships and be the key contact for activity in-market and know real-time status of activity
- Able to articulate to mid-level clients the key deliverables around their campaigns when they require it
- Man-mark mid-level clients and adeptly learn their business and ways of working
- Own weekly status reports and overall holistic campaign reporting sent to clients (the reports themselves to be completed by Activation)
- Collate ongoing learning from Activation on campaign progress and results and ensure those learnings are incorporated into future journey decisions and deployment thinking
- Behave as if you yourself are the client within the team, so that you are constantly asking probing questions of the Activation team on their behalf, are fully aware at all times of the performance of the campaign against KPIs, and are liaising with the client on any adjustments to be made (beyond the ongoing in-market optimisations that will be made by the Activation team)
- Know the client’s business and the expected contribution that the Purchase Journey makes in terms of their business metrics, not just media KPIs.
- Be confident in discussing and managing all potential comms touchpoints across the purchase journey, whether media, content, data or technology
Line management responsibility for the team:
- Line manage the Account Manager and Account Executive within your integrated client team, helping them to manage their workload effectively
- Train and support them to become experts in Journey Delivery and to understand and be fully aware of the Journey Design function, and of Journey Activation across Channels and Platforms
- Provide a clear development programme for each individual, ongoing feedback, and clear performance goals to support their development and career progression
- Support the Account Manager in learning about, and being able to work with, the wider specialist products and services within WM
- Support the Client Lead in ensuring that the Delivery team’s resource is deployed appropriately in line with workloads
- Where appropriate, support and manage the development of Account Execs and mentor them in any steps from Delivery into Design (or any other function), should this be deemed appropriate
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.