Global Strategy Associate Director - Shell
Operating Company MediaCom
Job Title Global Associate Director - Strategy
Department / TeamGlobal
Reporting ToGlobal Strategy Director, Global Category & Client President
MediaCom helps brands unlock growth through media. By applying our Systems Thinking approach to data, technology and creativity we design communication strategies that grow brands and generate sales.
As part of WPP and GroupM, we have access to the richest data sets and most robust benchmarks in the business.
Our success is underpinned by our belief “People First, Better Results” that if we invest in our people, we’ll deliver better results not only for our teams but for our clients.
MediaCom’s global client roster includes adidas, Coca-Cola (TCCC), Dell, Mars, NBC Universal, P&G, PSA, Richemont, Shell and Sony.
In 2018, MediaCom became the first network to hold all six major Media Network of the Year titles concurrently: Adweek, Campaign, Cannes Lions, Festival of Media Global, M&M Global and WARC Media 100.
Shell is a long-standing MediaCom client (20+ years), and following a competitive global pitch in 2018, we successfully defended and strengthened our relationship; we have responsibility for global media planning and buying across the entire Shell business worldwide, in approx. 40 markets.
We work across every aspect of the Shell business, from fuels, to retail, to motor oil, to brand communication and energy innovation initiatives such as Shell Eco-marathon and The Great Travel Hack. More information on these initiatives can be found at https://www.shell.co.uk/make-the-future.html
Our work on Shell has garnered over 50 industry awards in the last 5 years, including success at Cannes Lions, Festival of Media Global, M&M Global and the World Media Awards.
The Shell business is led from our London office, by a global account leadership team, with key regional hubs in Singapore and New York. We work directly with Shell’s global media and marcomms leadership teams, based in London.
The Shell Team at MediaCom is one of the largest within our Worldwide division and known for setting a forward thinking, positive approach and meritocracy within the team. We have a Can do Attitude and we’re looking for keen individuals who want to be part of a strong team who can take ownership of their responsibilities (and like to enjoy their work).
MediaCom have worked with Shell for over 13 years, first across EMEA and since 2005 we have handled the full global media assignment working across 5 main lines of business: Retail, Corporate Communications (Brand), Lubricants, Recruitment and B2B assignments. Shell is one of our major global partners, who employ 93,000 people worldwide in 90 territories, selling 145 billion litres of fuel through 46,000 service stations, with 10 million consumers passing through their Retail stations every day.
We have created a global network team for Shell – over 300 talented, passionate experts working across 30+ markets and managing a global media spend of c.$300m+.
Shell are a very innovative and progressive client, they’re investing more in digital media and rapidly exploring how digital solutions can grow their brands. They are keen to test new technology and want to work with digital media owners to be among the first clients to try new solutions. Shell are a very globally led client who are increasingly investing in global media solutions, so working with Shell in a global role provides great opportunities to work on innovative and interesting projects. They are investing in branded-content and media partnerships of significant scale.
Shell are one of MediaCom’s most integrated international clients, which means they use a wide array of specialist teams, such as Insight, Business Science, Social Media, Content, Search, SEO, Data Solutions etc.
We are looking for a skilled Associate Director - Strategy, with a proven track record of data-driven insight generation, and outstanding business-focussed communications planning across multi-market campaigns, generating measurable and tangible growth to client business.
- Define, develop and present global communications strategies for Shell, one of MediaCom’s largest global clients
- Build a strong and in-depth understanding of the relevant target audiences across each brand and line of business
- Develop a forensic understanding of relevant first and third-party data, applicable to strategy development
- Build robust measurement and accountability recommendations within strategic recommendations, including identification of primary KPIs and campaign target setting.
- Foster strong global client relationships; become a trusted strategic advisor for the global client media and marketing teams at a senior level
- Champion the business value of media planning with our clients; seek opportunities to showcase and highlight the positive growth impact of global strategy development and leadership on our clients’ business
- Become an integral, respected and highly-valued member of the Shell global account team at Mediacom
- Keep abreast of industry developments, whether in the communications industry or the client business, which will impact future strategic development on Shell
- Work collaboratively with a wide range of partner agencies across multiple disciplines; ensure that strong communications planning is at the heart of all cross-agency proposals and recommendations
- Act as a positive representative of the global account teams and MediaCom Global at all times. Build relationships throughout the company, and identify opportunities for client growth.
- Demonstrate proactive career management, including identifying and attending relevant internal and external training programmes.
- Be numerate, articulate, motivated and passionate, both externally with clients and agency partners, and internally with the core account teams and wider MediaCom network.
- Clear understanding of strategic planning requirements across the Shell business
- Proactive management of line managers/MediaCom global leadership teams on Shell, to ensure effective deployment of resource across accounts for key strategic projects
- Identify relevant specialist resource requirements throughout MediaCom, to enable delivery of brilliant communications planning.
- Provide internal thought leadership and seek out inspiration, to enhance the strategic planning capabilities of the wider Shell account team
SKILLS, BEHAVIOURS, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS/CERTIFICATIONS
- Experience in a dedicated media or communications strategy role
- Experience in working with market research, media and client data to identify audience insights and communications opportunities which deliver client growth
- Competence with relevant planning tools and resources eg TGI, Touchpoints, WARC, GWI, Google Analytics
- Comfortable, confident and assertive working with senior global clients and agency partners
- Experience of working with multi-disciplinary agencies (i.e. creative, digital, POS) and with local market teams
- Previous experience working on global/multi-market accounts
- Highly collaborative
- Calm and measured under pressure
- Excellent written & verbal English language skills
- Ambitious & independent
- Willing to take proactive ownership of projects and challenges
- Ability and desire to ‘own the room’ – a confident, authoritative and engaging presenter
- Communicates with authority and gravitas
- Organised and structured, with strong attention to detail
- High level of competence with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Team player, motivated and enthusiastic
- Effective and efficient working style
- Demonstrable record of strategic accomplishment – new business success, positive client feedback, award recognition
- Degree in a relevant business, marketing or communications discipline
- Relevant industry planning accreditation eg IPA/APG recognition
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.