Global Legal Director
Global Legal Director - Commercial Focus
Wavemaker is a new kind of global agency delivering world-class solutions through media, content and technology. 7,600 Wavemakers in 90 countries with $33B in billings create these transformative solutions for some of the world’s biggest brands. Our secret sauce is our unrivalled collection of Purchase Journey data. Across 40 markets and 80 categories, it is deployed by the world’s leading Purchase Journey Experts to spot opportunities and problems at every stage of the customer cycle and turn both into growth. Our teams are leading-edge, diverse and integrated, from media investment specialists to data scientists, e-comms experts to award-winning content creators. Our mission is ‘Let’s make the Future’ – at a time when market and customer behaviour is disrupted 24/7, we never stop evolving to help clients succeed.
Wavemaker is looking to hire a best in class in-house legal counsel to sit within the global management and client teams, as part of the wider Global Commercial Team. We are looking specifically for a commercially-experienced legal counsel who will not only provide the expected legal expertise in drafting and negotiating high value contracts and preparing and advising on corporate policy, but who can also skillfully and sensitively manage client negotiations looking for a win-win outcome on both sides. The remit will also include leading the efforts to manage local market contract compliance. The Global Legal Director also line management responsibility for at least one junior team member and will play a prominent role in the GroupM global legal community.
This is a high-profile position within the organisation, working directly with the most senior people within the business and clients on a day-to-day basis, predominantly in the UK and US but also in other global markets. Stakeholder management and communication skills are of the upmost importance in this position. We are looking for someone who can build strong relationships with people from all backgrounds and cultures; someone who is a natural communicator and can drive sensitive conversations with a view to finding innovative solutions that suit all parties. Ultimately, this person will be the conduit between Wavemaker’s legal team, internal client teams and clients; so having a balance of commercial acumen and people skills is a key success driver.
This position will report to the GroupM Global General Counsel, with an agency reporting line into the Wavemaker Global Commercial Director.
Travel will be required from time to time.
As well as forming part of the global agency commercial leadership team, the key areas of responsibility for this role are:
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on a range of media services, creative content, IT and data contracts
- Training and advising the business on risk, compliance, protection matters and relevant aspects of law
- Working with other key stakeholders in the business to set strategy and policies for managing risk in new and emerging products and services
- Creating a high profile of the legal resource throughout the business and encouraging active legal involvement in operational decision making
- Responsibility for legal aspects of pitch responses and client renegotiations
- Managing relationships with internal group counsel (WPP/GroupM) & external law firms and other professional advisors (notably auditors)
- Development of contract templates that can be utilised across the business
- Coordinating the implementation of GroupM level legal initiatives within Wavemaker
- Implementing data privacy good practice and assisting the business with data privacy compliance issues
- Managing & preventing client litigation
- Advising on reputation management
- IP and copyright
- Dealing with local markets daily
Key Behaviours and Knowledge
- +8 years post qualification experience
- Regional experience or experience working with different countries
- Operational / commercial experience, must be able to add-value, support / enable / facilitate change
- Collaborative team player, relationship builder with clients and internally with a can-do attitude, lots of energy and drive required
- Very strong interpersonal skills, demonstrating on daily basis the ability to succinctly communicate with legal and non-legal people alike and to accommodate language and cultural differences
- Fluency in English
- Media / advertising contract experience desirable but not essential
- Other language skills
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.