Journey Design Partner - Strategy Partner
Job Title:Design Partner
Reporting to:Head of Journey Design/ Managing Partner
Key reports:Journey Design Leads
The Journey Design Partner is the most senior Design role within an integrated client team. It sits within our Journey Design function, and is responsible for ensuring best in class purchase journey thinking across media, tech and content solutions. You are the planning conscience of the agency, the voice of the consumer, ensuring our clients are delivering the most effective approaches with the best in purchase journey thinking at the heart.
The Design Partner role can broadly be split into three key areas of responsibility:
Firstly, you will hold ultimate accountability for the successful building and approval of the Journey Designs on your clients’ business and agency wide pitches when required. You (with your team) will work across our entire planning process (Rapid Growth Planning) stages of Diagnose and Decide to regularly audit your clients specific Purchase Journey. You will be responsible for the Journey Design from the point of brief until implementation plans have had initial sign off – with individual responsibility for high importance briefs/ projects. The role of Journey Design is to brief Activation, WM Content and other specialist parties in an inspiring and motivating way. You must have a passion for insight and data driven ideas. Journey Delivery will sit alongside you in the briefing and will then conduct Journey Activation, WM Content and other internal stakeholders (and clients) around them to make it happen. You will regularly be in contact with the clients on questions covering audience, insight and Journey Design and will be expected to inspire and champion Wavemaker and Purchase Journey thinking. You will liaise closely with all other stakeholders and be an expert collaborator, working in partnership with media owner partners, internal WM teams (inc. WM Content, Precision, Activation) and third party measurement partners to ensure effective business outcomes are planned from the start.
Secondly, you will run a team of Journey Design Leads - experts all tasked with driving excellence in Purchase Journey Design across every stage and touchpoint. You will work within an integrated client team, and you and your team will be the engine that drives customer thinking, insights, and data at the heart of all our responses. You will have direct management responsibility for Journey Design Leads, and work in a tightly integrated partnership with the Managing Partner to ensure insight, strategy and brilliant thinking is delivered across Purchase Journey thinking. You will ultimately be responsible for the quality of Journey Design across your group, ensuring all proposals cover the entire Purchase Journey, are data-driven (using the full breadth of Wavemaker tools and capabilities) and include provocations and constant new thinking.
Thirdly, the Journey Design function is expected to be the engine of industry leading, award worthy work. You will be responsible for ensuring the proposals that are built across your Purchase Journeys have clear customer insights at the heart, promoting new thinking to solve problems that reflect the changing landscape and aren’t ‘media by default’. You will support the creation and delivery of wider, forward thinking Marketing and Communications approaches for clients – supporting them into 2020 and beyond
Run a Journey Design team:
Deliver awe inspiring work for client and new business that has a positive impact.
Be an ambassador for great work internally with your team and with clients.
- Manage a team of Journey Design specialists within the integrated client team, with direct line management responsibility for any Journey Leads. (This team will be responsible for managing all aspects of the purchase journey up to plan approval)
- Work in partnership with the Managing Partner (and senior stakeholders in Journey Design and Journey Activation) to ensure the team’s combined skill, development and training is continuously monitored and managed to enhance outcomes for clients
- Instill a data fueled culture, with high level of proficiency and use of Wavemaker tools, especially [m]Insights across the team
- Ensure the team achieves Journey Design Accreditation
- Be a key WM contact on pitch briefings – able to manage and run large pitch responses within your Design Team
- Ensure ongoing training, career development and pastoral needs are met and managed for all Journey Design staff within your team
- Ensure excellent collaboration between Journey Design staff and all other functions within the integrated team and external agency relationships
Accountability for the successful building and approval of the Journey Designs on your clients’ business and agency wide pitches when required:
- Ensure Rapid Growth Planning (WM’s planning approach) is delivered across all client work. Using internal WM tools (inc. [m]Insight and WM Benchmarks) and external tools to build a deep understanding of the consumer, the client business and its specific Purchase Journey opportunities.
- Ensure Design team take ownership of the whole journey and ensure Priming, Active, Brand, Performance are linked.
- Working with the team to regularly audit (DIAGNOSE) the purchase journey to identify strengths and weaknesses (includes research, tool use, budget setting – ensuring data fuels every stage)
- Support the definition of tasks for media, tech and content investment, develop channel roles and investment priorities based around tasks
- Responsible for working with the Journey Delivery and Journey Activation teams to keep abreast of how the journey is evolving, including consumer, competitor, and category insights. Leading macro course correction if required.
- Responsible for always challenging and provoking the client, bringing new thinking, approaches and creativity powered by insights and data
- Ultimately accountable for the Purchase Journey(s) on your clients’ business, up until the initial sign off of implementational plans. Working with your Journey Design team (and consulting with and informing Journey Delivery) to create and control the process.
- Be the senior client contact for Journey Design approaches and recommendations
- Able to articulate to senior clients the key deliverables around their campaigns when they require it
- Man-mark senior clients across and adeptly learn their business, objectives and ways of working
- Be confident in discussing and managing all potential communications touchpoints across the purchase journey, whether media, content, data or technology
- The role of Journey Design is to brief Activation, WM Content and other specialist parties in an inspiring and motivating way
The engine of industry leading, award worthy work:
- Make the Wavemaker agency team famous, by ensuring that award worthy work happens (in partnership with Journey Delivery and Journey Activation)
- Work with Delivery, Activation, WM Content, WM Tonic, external third parties and wider WPP agencies to identify proactive, emerging opportunities with the potential to step change growth
- Inspire clients to see value of journey design thinking – ensuring permeation throughout all levels of client
- Share work internally to the broader agency and externally to the industry to demonstrate Wavemaker credentials
- Create strong productive working relationships with the senior teams of external agencies and media owners (including, but not limited to, Planning and Strategy functions)
The Design Partner has the opportunity to be part of WM’s Big 5 strategic initiatives – teams are tasked with running key strategic initiatives on behalf of the agency.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.