The primary responsibility of the IT Delivery Director (UK) is to provide management, leadership and direction to the Technical Project Management team in the setup, execution and delivery of their projects such that the maximum business value/benefit can be achieved. The role reports to the GroupM UK IT Business Partner and works closely with the UK IT Senior leadership team, UK Chief Transformation & Integration Officer & Media Operations team.
The main objectives of the IT Delivery Director are:
- Project Management Practice – ensure there is a strong maturity of project management process, templates and governance, ensuring full adherence by the technical project management team. The practice leadership should always drive towards optimal business value outcomes and should work with business leadership to ensure benefits realisation through optimal adoption.
- Team Leadership – Ensure all team members are equipped with the support, skills and knowledge to perform to their maximum potential as technical project managers with clear & inspiring direction.
- Communication – Proactively build relationships with GroupM UK Technology team, GroupM Agencies, central partner teams and 3rd Party suppliers – ensuring regular communication that adds value.
- Support – Support individual Project Managers in the execution of their projects, such that they follow best practice processes to achieve successful project deliveries
- Quality - Ensure quality of project management approach and deliverables, ensuring that that projects are delivered in a consistent and controlled manner to time, cost, scope and quality.
- Administration – Manage the Project Management team on a day-to-day basis as a line-manager including: their personal development, career planning and general administrative activities.
Project Management Practice
- Ensure the adherence to existing GroupM project management procedures, standards and documentation within the Project Management team and the adoption of any new/amended practice
- Perform and exemplify the Project Manager role to the team, IT and the GroupM Agency business
- Support the UK Applications Director in the development and maintenance of the roadmap of current and future projects within GroupM UK
- Collaborate with the Business Analysis team to ensure consistency of approach in project approach, adapting the approach as required
- Manage and maintain the project management resourcing to match project requirements (including hiring of additional permanent and/or temporary resources) while balancing project management requirements against existing project needs and priorities
- Actively work towards ensuring all projects are approached in a collaborative, friendly, professional and efficient way
- Add, enhance or update existing GroupM project management procedures/techniques where required and/or appropriate
- Mentor, coach, motivate and build a positive project delivery culture among the Project Management team
- Monitor tasks performed and deliverables produced by all team members
- Lead by example by setting high standards for yourself and your team
- Maintain position descriptions for all team members
- Develop and regularly monitor KPIs and development goals for all team members
- Perform formal Annual performance reviews (and interim reviews every 6 months) for all team members along with regular informal reviews and 1:1s
- Make recommendations regarding salary levels and additional reward programs
- Ensure Project Managers are provided with appropriate training and long term-personal improvement plans to foster career growth
- Develop relationships and regularly communicate with UK Applications senior management, senior business stakeholders to showcase project successes achieved and benefits realised
- Ensure that the status of individual projects is communicated regularly and using the appropriate medium, to all stakeholders and interested parties
- Proactively communicate the skills and abilities of the Project Management team by means of highlighting the key achievements of the team to IT and GroupM Agencies
- Ensure project managers establish strong communications for their projects, making sure the level of communication utilised is appropriate for their audience(s)
- Advocate and advertise best practice project management and ensure it is adopted and used by the Project Management team
- Provide advice and guidance on project management practice and techniques during all stages of a project
- Ensure quality assurance review is applied to all project deliverables produced by the project
- Support and ensure resolution of any issues arising during a project, acting a 1st point of escalation and escalating project issues to senior management as required
- Ensure the quality review of project documentation provided to senior management
- Ensure that all projects are running to plan, producing all required project artefacts and that the project repository is maintained and up-to-date
- Create and maintain personal development and assessment plans for each Project Managers, appropriate to their experience and level
- Report to the UK Applications Director on all matters affecting the performance and efficiency of the team, including resourcing, team development and other issues.
- Maintain the project knowledge, skills and experience to fulfil team requirements
- Manage the team on matters of annual leave, illness reporting, expenses, personal issues and general team management activity.
- Bachelor degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related discipline
- Formal qualifications in Portfolio/Programme/Project Management (PRINCE II, PMI, etc.).
- A minimum of 5/6 years’ experience in an IT project management role
- A proven track record of successfully delivering multiple projects and/or programmes of different types and sizes
- Demonstrable experience of the full Systems Development Life Cycle
- An in-depth knowledge of project management methods, individual techniques and their practical application
- In-depth knowledge and experience of the Microsoft Office365 suite of applications, including MS Project.
- Experience in the media or advertising industries
- Experience delivering multiple projects/programmes concurrently
- Experience with change management
- Experience working with teams across multiple physical locations
- Experience developing, implementing, maintaining, and monitoring standard processes and best practises.
Preferred Skills and Attributes:
- Highly developed organisational skills
- Strong planning, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Proactive, ‘can do' attitude
- The ability to work with and present to senior management
- Multitasking with a sense of urgency with a pride in work.
- An advanced level of written and oral English
- The ability to quickly learn and understand new business environments and concepts
- The ability to achieve high quality results, while paying attention to detail
- The ability to lead and inspire teams of people from disparate backgrounds and skill levels
- The ability to liaise between business and technical staff and communicate effectively to both
- Excellent time management and time appreciation skills
- The ability to manage multiple tasks/projects/programmes, work under pressure and meet agreed deadlines
- Highly focused on customer service
- A strong desire to create and follow standards and procedures
- A high level of autonomy and the ability to work independently
- A natural desire to share knowledge and teach others
- The ability to influence groups of people to gain consensus.