GroupM is the leading global media investment management operation. It serves as the parent company to WPP media agencies Wavemaker, MediaCom, MindShare, Essence and MSix.
Its primary purpose is to maximise the performance of WPP’s media communications agencies on behalf of our clients, our shareholders and our people by operating as a parent and collaborator in performance-enhancing activities such as trading, content creation, sports, digital, finance, proprietary tool development and other business-critical capabilities. The agencies that comprise GroupM are all global operations in their own right with leading market positions.
The focus of GroupM is the intelligent application of physical and intellectual scale to benefit trading, innovation, and new communication services, to bring unfair competitive advantage to our clients and our companies.
About the team
GroupM provides products and services to the GroupM agencies. These range from technology solutions through to training programmes. Conceptually the GroupM team exists to facilitate efficiencies in the Agencies themselves and provide thought leadership to them.
The Project Management Practice is a new team of project and change managers who will provide the right capability in the organisation to successfully deliver a portfolio of interrelated projects and programmes in a matrix environment.
It is important to note that this is a team who deliver business project management services to GroupM and our agencies and not IT project management.
- The role is expected to build a team of project and change managers to provide the right capability in the organisation to successfully deliver a portfolio of interrelated projects and programmes in a matrix environment
- Build, manage, and mentor a flexible pool of business project managers and change managers, to deliver a range of complex business initiatives and change programmes to meet the desired business outcomes
- Coach and mentor the team, building the maturity and authority of project and change management within the organisation
- Plan, manage, and allocate resource against the prioritised portfolio of projects, ensuring that the project and change practice has the capacity and skill set to deliver the portfolio
- Responsible for line-management (e.g. recruitment and retention) of project managers and change managers
- Ensure the adoption of, and compliance to, standard and robust project management and change management methodologies, and drive best practice into the business
- Develop, produce, and implement new ways of working/processes to optimise more effective project management as required
- Approve the project plans of the project teams, and ensure the delivery of these plans within the set time, quality, and budget constraints
- Ensure that all Project Managers produce the required deliverables within the defined quality, time, and cost constraints, and to facilitate full realisation of benefits defined in the business case
- Proactively monitor the progress of the projects and provide expert knowledge/support where needed
- Manage the project team portfolio but also lead medium to large scale projects where required
- Responsible and accountable for deliverables from third-parties as necessary
- Drive complex cross-functional and cross-agency change into the organisation through the application of ‘best in class’ change management practices
- Ensure the successful transition of projects into the business
- Proactively manage and collaborate with programme sponsors and senior stakeholders within the business to ensure shared ownership for the delivery of programme outcomes and to minimise the business impact of project delivery
- Facilitate the sharing of best practices, and encourage knowledge transfer and lessons learnt activities within the project management and change teams to drive best practice
- Be responsible for project quality, and produce the agreed levels of portfolio reporting on all projects being delivered and/or within the oversight of the Governance PMO
- Attend steering groups, project reviews, approvals, and governance processes led by the Governance PMO, and run individual project boards
- Work with the Governance PMO to ensure post project reviews take place and include lessons learnt exercises which identify both positive and negative outcomes to be actioned
- Deliver an effective and timely schedule of project communications liaising with the relevant Sponsors and stakeholders including the Operational Excellence Team
Skills, Behaviours and experience
- This is a business project management rather than IT project management role
- Must be able to use strong business experience to identify, define, and deliver strategic projects and programmes, including adherence to relevant performance metrics and timely results
- Ability to deal with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to juggle different projects/priorities and deliver high quality outcomes under pressure
- Ability to plan, manage and balance project resource to ensure projects are delivered to plan and to the highest level of quality
- The successful candidate will have a formal project management qualification, ideally Prince2 or MSP and a demonstrated track record with large scale projects
- Team management experience
- Communication and collaboration are critical skills
- Competent computer skills, including Microsoft office,( outlook, word and power point), with the ability to produce key documentation of a professional standard in all packages