EMEA Strategy Director
Who are m/SIX?
m/SIX is one of the fastest-growing media planning and buying agencies, with an international network now comprising over 40 offices across 3 continents.
We have a unique proposition and ownership structure, which is fundamental to how we operate for our clients. We are majority owned by our partners within The&Partnership, but GroupM’s minority ownership means that we are able to offer a true ‘best of both worlds’ advantage. This means a progressive and entrepreneurial approach to business and culture, whilst providing full access to GroupM’s market leading pricing, data and technology assets. The&Partnership overall has a strong ethic of pitching in and getting our hands dirty, regardless of level. As such we are naturally less hierarchical and territorial than many other agency environments, particularly when it comes to working with creative teams.
The agency is designed to think audience first – to face into disruption. We use data signals to understand the flow of audiences and build communications systems that balance the need to build and convert demand. We turn real behavioural data into actionable human insight that informs all communications at both strategic & implementational levels. This means that we’re geared toward business growth, not just media growth. Our aim is always to become a valued board-level business partner of the clients we work with.
As a direct outcome of this progressive & transformational agenda, m/SIX has two ambitions. To be a top ten agency in every market in which we operate, and to be the most important place in the careers of our people.
The team that works on Toyota Europe are referred to as ‘The Hub’. From London we work with our clients based in Brussels as well as our many local markets across Europe. To date, we handle communications for Toyota and Lexus across 20+ countries – with key markets being the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Poland. The team that works on the account is made up of people from across The&Partnership group. This includes Creative, Customer, and Media. While you will work for m/SIX the group’s dedicated media agency - m/SIX - you will very much represent The&Partnership on a daily basis. In fact, the Toyota and Lexus clients refer to everyone working on their account as The&Partnership.
The Hub is one of our The&Model is designed to help marketing move at the speed of life. Faster and more responsive, smarter and more effective. It sees us create hybrid – client/agency – marketing teams within our client’s offices. The team has full-service capabilities with data at its heart. This in-sourced approach is a best-of-both-worlds solution: The agility and flexibility of a dedicated embedded team, with the access to talent and tools, scale and data, that only a global marketing group can offer. The&Model puts marketing and agency people back in the growth business. The&Model brings things together that have been separate for too long: client & agency, data & creativity, efficiency & effectiveness.
The Hub is a centre of excellence with some employees embedded into the clients’ office in Brussels. However, it’s common for clients to work within The Hub on a weekly basis. From time-to-time, the Strategy Director will be reacquired to travel to Brussels or a local market – this can often be done in a day.
What is the role?
The Strategy Director will lead communications planning and media strategy on specific projects. They will work alongside one other Strategy Directors (also from the m/SIX side of the business), Brand Planners, and Audience Planners. The Strategy Director will be a trusted strategic partner, and opinionated expert on market and industry issues. They will champion data-driven insights and intelligent audience planning in their strategy work. They will be expected to stand on their own two feet – leading projects and interfacing with clients.
Some specific role responsibilities?
- Receive briefings: accept, interpret, challenge, and sometimes write, client briefs. They are able to understand the client’s business and brand challenges and develop a plan for addressing them. If a brief seems flawed, they will use emotional intelligence to work with the client to improve it.
- Lead the communications planning process. The Strategy Director will work closely with brand planners, audience planners, and creatives to design the entire or consumer experience.
- Lead media strategy development. Strategy Director should have years of experience in media planning and strategy.
- Develop and defend asset lists. Strategy Director must have the ability to think about local market execution and guide creatives in exactly what to make and why.
- Develop and champion a test & learn agenda. Strategy Director must be curious and enjoy learning. They are the type of person that loves to find a better, proven, way.
- Identify partnership opportunities and champion them with both central clients and markets. The Strategy Director thinks beyond the UK about partnerships that will benefit all markets. And they don’t take no for an answer easily. European partnerships are challenging for Toyota as their budgets are managed locally, this means the Strategy Director will need to get buy-in from many stakeholders.
- Identify the importance of data strategy. Whilst the Strategy Director will not be solely responsible for data strategy, they should lean in and feel comfortable in these conversations. When planning media, they should consider all the ways data can, or can not, be used to make the campaign work better.
- Identify and understand important technologies. The Strategy Director will understand the differing technologies needed to implement a campaign and be a resource for both the agency and clients.
Who are you?
- You are highly proactive. The strategist will be expected to proactively improve upon the strategy product and help the team, agency, and client. They will not wait to be told what to do. You lean in and act.
- You are lateral thinker – you solve problems in a creative way.
- You are thorough – you always think about what the client might ask. You’re the kind of person that uses citations and page numbers. You triple check your numbers.
- You are able to balance a microscopic view with a panoramic view – you pay attention to details but also see the bigger picture.
- You are tenacious. You do not give up. You go above and beyond to do great work, especially in innovation and partnerships.
- You are optimistic.
- You are comfortable working across the entire media landscape, especially the digital ecosystem.
- You are an excellent listener and able to collaborate with a wide cross section of people.
- You live our m/SIX behaviours of pioneering, energetic & honesty
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.