Performance Planning Director (12 month FTC)
Job Title: Performance Planning Director
Reporting to: Performance Lead
Key reports: Performance Planner/ Performance Executive
The performance planning director is a planning and delivery role within the WM performance team. It sits within the performance planning function, and is responsible for ensuring that we design industry leading solutions using media, tech and content to solve client problems and deliver business target KPIs across the purchase journey as well as ensuring that every step taken throughout the Purchase Journey on behalf of the client by the Wavemaker team is maximized for effectiveness and efficiency
With an excellent grasp of Rapid Growth Planning techniques, Performance Planning Directors will ensure that the voice of the consumer is heard, understood and reflected in the purchase journey design and delivery plans created for clients. Performance Planning Directors will be expert users of all WAVEMAKER tools which will allow them to create data-driven solutions to client briefs and quantifiable and measurable recommendations on their investment decisions.
The Performance Planning Directors role can broadly be split into four key areas of responsibility:
You will be responsible for designing the most effective purchase journey for your client considering all stages with a focus on the active stage. On major briefs this will be in the form of supporting the Performance Lead, for day to day briefs, you will take the lead, designing the entire solution end to end, from purchase journey insights, to tasks, to ideas, to role of channels, performance optimization and finally implementation plans across media, content and tech. You will be passionate about uncovering new insights that unlock new approaches and challenge existing thinking. Every single penny invested will be justified through your analysis of data and historical performance and test and learn. You will have the ability to write a story which pulls together the entire proposal from objectives to ideas to KPI forecasts into one simple, easily understandable and buyable narrative.
You will manage and oversee the delivery of the Purchase Journey, striving for operational excellence, ensuring that all stakeholders perfectly activate the Journey, to budget, to targeted KPIs, and on time. You will brief Activation, WM Content and other specialist parties in an inspiring and motivating way. A key part of the role will be ensuring all implementation and solutions reflect the latest understanding and learnings from previous activity, you will ensure that the entire team are all aware of what works and why. Oversee the effective management of finance and SLA process
You will be the day-to-day voice of the client within the team. You will lead the client in their understanding of data and insight driven performance planning principles and how to apply within the journey planning framework to deliver strategy, creating innovative plans and rationale documents that demonstrate how you will deliver quantifiable outcomes. You will report back with ongoing checks on the status of the campaigns, discuss opportunities for enhancement and optimizations, reviewing reports and the overall performance of the Journey, and in general ensure that the client is fully informed. You will deliver excellence in client service including quality control over all work produced, ensuring accurate forecasting and target delivery of KPIs including that of indirect reports. You will attend all status meetings, reviews, and general client meetings.
You will have line management responsibility for any performance planners and performance execs, within your team. You will manage and support them day-to-day, assisting them with workload management, delegating where appropriate, provide ongoing pastoral care, and training them to ensure that they are developing quickly and successfully.
Design the most effective purchase journey for your client:
- Use Rapid Growth Planning (WM’s planning approach) across all client work, utilising internal WM tools (inc. [m]Insight and WM Benchmarks) and external tools to build a deep understanding of the consumer, the client business, and its Purchase Journey opportunities
- Plan the entire journey across the Active stage and ensure all stages of the purchase journey are considered and linked as the brief or business challenge requires.
- Set and deliver planning against a clear set of KPIs
- Define the tasks for media, tech and content investment, develop channel roles and investment priorities based around tasks and performance KPIs
- Work with the Performance Journey Activation teams to monitor how journey is evolving, including consumer, competitor, performance and category insights. Lead course correction if required.
- Partner with TAPP and research parties to ensure industry leading measurement across each design. Ensure you and your clients have a full understanding of attribution, modelling, research, analytics and tech capabilities and the impact they can have on ongoing Purchase Journey optimisation and how they can benefit clients’ business
Managing Delivery of the purchase journey striving for operational excellence
- Manage the ‘project plan’ for executing the Purchase Journey – know exactly what needs to be delivered by when and by whom, ensuring all deadlines are met, engaging regularly with internal teams to keep everyone on track and on time
- Ensure the activation plan reflects the strategy and points to the precise moments in the purchase journey where it can deliver the greatest impact and will deliver the KPIs and targets as set out in the client’s brief and as defined by the Purchase journey. Write and share inspiring, actionable briefs for Journey Activation, WM Content and TAPP
- Responsible (with Performance activation) for the creation and management of 30.60.90 test plans for all clients and ensuring your team are accountable for all actions in a timely manner.
- Create and articulate a clear measurement framework with key deliverables for every campaign and agree with the client and TAPP teams in advance of campaign start date.
- Create accurate forecasts and projections factoring in the impact of all macro and micro factors (ie historical performance, category trends, competitor activity, seasonality) and actively challenge legacy measurement techniques.
- Ensure that the appropriate technology and data is available to make channel recommendations and track performance against core KPI’s across all media channels (i.e attribution models, econometrics, DMPs etc)
- Work collaboratively with specialist teams within WM to enable excellence in execution and ensure best practice throughout the Purchase Journey (e.g TAPP, WM Content etc.)
- Ensure Activation teams are reporting regularly and have clear sight of performance vs KPIs at all times. Stay abreast of optimization decisions, and escalate where necessary to Performance Lead for budget, timing or journey / performance optimization and target changes.
- Liaise with agency partners to ensure they are fully aware of activities and have all the detail needed to fulfill their role
- Oversee Journey activation with auditing, PRF and trading agreements with media owners and ensure they are are working towards these
- Responsible for excellent financial management processes, SOX compliance, contract compliance and delivery of SLAs at all times
- Keep the Performance Lead up to date with client issues, opportunities, and team developments.
Be the day to day voice of the client:
- Communicate to all external stakeholders, chiefly within the client’s business, the precise status of their investments throughout the Journey, and ensure everyone involved is appropriately informed, aware and consulted at all times.
- Man-mark mid-level clients and adeptly learn their business and ways of working to build strong client relationships and be the key contact for activity in market and know real time status of activity on the plan and delivery vs target KPIs as they require it.
- Own weekly status reports and overall holistic campaign reporting sent to clients (the reports themselves to be completed by Activation)
- Collate ongoing learnings and ensure those learnings are incorporated into future journey decisions for channel and performance optimization
- Behave as if you yourself are the client within the team, constantly asking probing questions of the Activation team on their behalf. Ensure you are fully aware at all times of the performance of the campaign against KPIs, and are liaising with the client on any adjustments to be made on an ongoing basis (beyond the ongoing in-market optimisations that will be made by the Activation team)
- Know the client’s business and the expected contribution that the Purchase Journey makes in terms of those business metrics, not just media KPIs.
- Be conscious of TRR scores and ensure the continuous improvement of them.
Managing and developing the Performance Planners
- Lead and line manage performance planners and performance executives ensuring they deliver work on time and to a high standard
- Provide a clear development programme for each individual, ongoing feedback, and clear performance goals to support their career progression with relevant training
- Ensure your team are equally comfortable in Data, Digital and Performance and are adequately qualified: Pathways, TGI, Touchpoints, Sales Edge, Google Analytics, Advanced Excel, WM IQ tools.
- Your team will have Expert Excel knowledge and high level of numeracy. Advanced Excel trained (Use of Vlookups, Pivot Table). Excellent workflow management and prioritization and sound financial awareness, including processes and budget control
- Live the PACED values at all times
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.