Director of Marketing and Communications
GroupM is the world’s leading media investment company responsible for more than $45B in annual media investment through agencies including Mindshare, MediaCom, Wavemaker, Essence and m/SIX, as well as the outcomes-driven programmatic audience company, Xaxis and the addressable TV company, Finecast.
GroupM creates competitive advantage for advertisers via its worldwide organisation of media experts who deliver powerful insights on consumers and media platforms, trading expertise, market-leading brand-safe media, technology solutions, addressable TV, content, sports and more.
Discover more about GroupM at www.groupm.com.
Follow @GroupMWorldwide on Twitter
Follow GroupM on LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/groupm
About GroupM UK
In the UK, GroupM is clear market leader with $4B in billings and has twice the market share of its nearest competitor.
We have an extensive blue-chip client list with expertise in every category - our key purpose is to inspire and empower our agencies and their clients to deliver market-leading business growth.
GroupM UK has enjoyed considerable success since its inception. We have led the market in terms of profit growth, new business success and product & service innovation and we need to ensure that this success continues against a backdrop of a changing market with many challenges but also with many opportunities.
To combat these challenges and exploit the opportunities, the GroupM UK strategy has four pillars:
- Industry leadership: Behave as market leader and work continuously to renew and deepen trust with clients and improve the perception of GroupM in the market.
- Client-centricity: To put our clients at the heart of everything we do – in how we structure, in how we innovate and in the products & services we develop.
- Business growth: To drive our profit growth by focusing on new business, delivering new products and operational excellence in the way we work.
- An inspiring culture: Build a culture that develops a reputation for GroupM as the number one destination for talent in the media industry.
About the role
This is a critical role in the organisation and we are seeking a Chief Marketing Officer who will closely with the UK CEO to help us achieve these goals and as part of the GroupM UK leadership team. Depending upon seniority and experience, this position will sit upon the GroupM UK Executive Committee.
This will be our most senior appointment in this area as we seek to step change the marketing of the GroupM UK brand externally (clients, media owners, consultants & auditors, national and industry publications) and internally (GroupM UK, GroupM Global/Regional, GroupM agencies, WPP) and help us achieve our three-year vision of becoming the most trusted, most innovative and most successful agency network in the UK.
- Build the GroupM narrative around our credentials, positioning, business models and key benefits to clients.
- Develop this narrative into a differentiating and compelling proposition versus our competition and produce all relevant marketing collateral.
- Develop the marketing strategy and plan across both external and internal (supporting the Internal Comms Manager) stakeholders to build the profile and reputation of GroupM and its agencies against the three-year vision.
- Set benchmarks/KPIs for success and build a feedback/measurement framework to ensure success is achieved.
- Actively participate in a front-line position to deliver the marketing strategy and plan.
- As part of the GroupM proposition, simplify and help position the GroupM product and service offering focused on client benefits and what questions our products help clients answer.
- Together with CEO, GroupM exco and agency CEOs, build a UK client forum from a representative sample of GroupM clients (in conjunction with the agencies). Set the purpose, agenda and schedule of such a forum together with defining success factors.
- Set up a thought leadership practice based around the forces of change impacting our clients – incorporate into marketing strategy, plan and UK client forum positioning GroupM as client-focused market leaders.
- Work with agency CEOs, CMOs and comms teams to ensure their input and buy-in to GroupM positioning.
- Convene a regular GroupM/agency comms forum to ensure co-ordination between GroupM and agency comms activities and to help develop the ongoing collective agenda.
- New products: Build a new product marketing capability to support our new product development and make our stories about our data, technology and specialist capabilities simpler and more persuasive
- New business: Implement a coordinated approach to new business across our agencies and operating units adopting the OneTeam approach to maximise GroupM’s chances of success.
- Remain up-to-date on the market positions of our traditional and emerging competitors and help GroupM to more effectively stand out and compete against them
- Implement a more strategic and coordinated approach to new business prospecting across GroupM and our agencies.
- Strategically manage our relationships with pitch consultants and ensure they are current in their understanding of the value GroupM and our agencies can deliver to their clients
- In addition, this role would have responsibility along with the GroupM UK CEO, exco and management board to oversee internal comms, monthly Town Halls and quarterly offsite Town Halls.
The behaviours we are looking for
- Collaboration: Work positively and proactively with key stakeholders in the GroupM UK team, GroupM EMEA and global teams, our agencies, Xaxis EMEA/Global networks, Finecast global network as well as WPP. Develop a OneTeam approach to unify all stakeholders and remove silos.
- Innovation: Keep on top of emerging trends and technological change which impacts both our clients and our own business. Embrace new channels of communication and incorporate into marketing plan.
- Leadership: Lead by example, be confident, visible and approachable. Inspire colleagues to delight clients. Be prepared to take calculated risks, celebrate success and learn from failure. Have the profile to be a leading figure in the UK media industry.
About the candidate
- The ideal candidate will have expertise and leadership experience in B2B marketing and brand building, ideally with media agency, media owner or client marketing experience although broad agency, consulting or professional services experience will also be welcomed.
- They will ideally also have practitioner experience - so not necessarily have pursued a classic B2B marketing career e.g. strategic or client-service functions at an agency.
- They will fully embrace the marketing ethos of satisfying client needs.
- They will be skilled at understanding complex technical issues (e.g. data, AdTech, MarTech, Brand Safety, Digital Supply Chains, Blockchain) but have the strategic and craft skills to create simple and compelling communications around these subjects.
- They will be skilled at the portfolio management of several brands both at a GroupM and at an agency level.
- They will be comfortable working in matrixed environments and be adept at stakeholder management and building consensus to unite multiple businesses and teams behind a common cause.
- The ideal candidate will be an excellent leader who builds strong followership through a combination of technical excellence, team management and a focus on team culture.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.