MediaCom Associate Director - Job description – May 2019
Overview of job
An exciting opportunity for an ambitious Planning Associate Director to lead the planning on two of the worlds most iconic brands, The Coca-Cola Company and Lindt & Sprungli
You will lead the delivery of top quality, innovative and creative planning for two big and high-profile clients, producing work that is evidence-based, creative, underpinned by systems thinking and designed to deliver growth for our clients.
The Coca-Cola Company sits at the top table of global brands and we’re looking for a proven and confident planner who is passionate about delivering work that connects with popular culture and can make consumers stop in their tracks. In the past year we have become a sponsor of the Premier League, run the world’s first ever sampling campaign delivered through a TV and voice assistant and made Oxford Circus smell of Cinnamon for the launch of a new Coke flavour. We love strategic thinking and rigour, but we also love a flair for innovation and creativity.
Lindt are an organisation that is experiencing a lot of change and continue to grow in a declining market. They are an exciting and challenging client who spend circ £13m annually across their dynamic profile of products from Lindor to Excellence. They are big spenders on TV and continue to look for new and exciting way to reach category buyers.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to Business Directors Charlotte Mullan & Polly Hibbert
3 best things about the job:
- The people – you’ll work in a very supportive and ambitious team
- The work – you’ll do industry leading, big brand, strategic planning
- Your development – we’ll support your learning and development ambitions
Measures of success –
In three months, you would have:
- Begun to build strong relationships with team mates, clients, and agency partners and embeded themselves as a key member of the team
- Gained a strong understanding of the culture and values of MediaCom. Particularly our planning philosophy, having been introduced to Systems Planning, our proprietary and market leading planning process
In six months, you would have:
- Established yourself as a key member of the Planning team, acting as an invaluable support to your BD and trusted agency partner to your clients
- Taken responsibility for agreed work streams, presented responses to brief to the clients F2F and become increasingly confident in Systems Planning
- Own and lead on response both internally and client facing
In 12 months, you would have:
- A very clear and defined development plan, with clear objectives, identified training and development needs, to help you to grow.
- Be leading by example, inspiring and motivating the team that reports into you. Be confident in Systems Planning and be encouraging a strong culture in the team.
Responsibilities of the role:
• Embed a strong planning culture in your team – brilliant planners who proud off the work they do, with clear goals, objectives and development plan, and a great relationship with other MediaCom depts
• Be an expert in Systems Planning & an advocate of the System
• Work with the leadership team to grow Planning at MediaCom (culture & product)
• Become the lead planning contact for clients, and become a trusted strategic partner
• Lead the Systems Planning process for all client projects, including Planning Sprint sessions
• Ensure your team are consistently delivering on the 5 key components of great work
• Increase revenue and profitability through active contribution to the commercial targets set for your business group
• Ensure the account is in perfect financial health
What you will need:
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, and a team player mentality
- Self-motivated; an ambition to make the ordinary extraordinary
- A thirst to learn – be that the client’s business, people, brands, industry, trends etc
- An ability to prioritise and delegate, as well as manage both up and down
- Empathetic and self-aware
- Curiosity of mind - motivated to understand the real issue behind the brief
- Solid strategic thinker
- Positive, proactive approach to problem solving
- Calm under pressure
- Accurate verbal and written feedback and instructions
- Enjoy presenting, story-telling, and influencing others
- Data & Content literate - able to simplify the potentially complicated into a clear opportunity
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, GlaxoSmithKline, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
In June 2018 Mediacom went through a restructure that resulted in the agency being put into six Business Units made up of billings between £180m-£250m, consisting of a mix of different sized accounts. Within these Business Units there are a range of teams from buying (marketplace) , implementation planning (connect) and planning. This reorganisation has helped to improve service to clients by becoming more agile and integrated, made it easier for everyone to do their jobs and has given people more opportunity to learn different skills and grow their career. This role sits in Business Unit 4, headed up by one of the Managing Partners, Victoria Appleby.
MediaCom was named Campaign’s Agency of the Decade and received top marks in its 2016 School Report. MediaCom also won Agency of the Year at the Media Week Awards 2018.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.