Business Director - Publishing & Digital
PLUS is a bespoke, global agency created exclusively for CHANEL by WPP. It is focused upon bringing about a step change in CHANEL’s global, regional and local communications, by drawing upon the best talent and resource from across WPP. The agency strives for a new approach that gives CHANEL an even greater advantage in a constantly evolving communications landscape. It is not just an answer to today’s media and communication challenges, but an agency that will adapt to bring a new perspective to the opportunities of the future.
The team are a mixture of diverse specialist skills from consumer insight and measurement backgrounds to media investment specialists, from media strategy to media planning. PLUS’ resource will adapt in line with CHANEL’s needs drawing upon relevant expertise from across the WPP group, as and when required. PLUS shares with CHANEL a desire to develop the most thought provoking and innovative solutions underpinned by an understanding of CHANEL’s customers and broader media behaviors that create new opportunities to communicate.
PLUS’ ambition is to develop a collaborative way of working that brings specialists together to create exciting ways of using existing and emerging media opportunities, while sustaining a focus on continuity and consistency with CHANEL’s long term media partners and a market leading approach to execution.
About the Opportunity: The role is the Publishing & Digital Business Director responsible for the implementational planning and buying within the PLUS team on the CHANEL account. It is a senior role covering all aspects of leadership & management of that part of the PLUS team and being the most senior Print & Digital contact for CHANEL both internally and externally.
The individual is required to be dynamic, motivating and driven: a trusted advisor for the client, a role model and mentor for their team and a leader within the Mindshare. They will need to command respect from CHANEL, peers and team members, be highly professional and operate with honesty and integrity.
Fundamental to the role is helping the client to continue to understand the rapidly evolving media world, its challenges, opportunities and to identify the best shape for their investment whilst ensuring that they get the best value return in terms of cost and quality.
A Day in the Life: Managing a close-knit planning and buying team of 3 people, working solely across all divisions within CHANEL (Fragrance & Beauty, Fashion and Watches & Fine Jewellery). Your primary responsibilities will be overseeing the day to day running of the account across Publishing & Digital Display media internally and conversing with both Clients and Media owners alike on a regular basis to ensure all campaigns are planned and delivered as required. We would expect the successful applicant to be able to multi-task while working under tight deadlines and still be able to find time to enjoy good business relationships with internal and external contacts.
What we are looking for in you:
- Lead by example and be a team player within your peer group, your team and the department
- Be a strong and clear communicator
- Become CHANEL’s trusted adviser within the Publishing & Digital sphere, working on plans and acting in their interests
- Offer coaching and support to the team to ensure that the team runs efficiently with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Review and regularly appraise all direct reports and ensure clear targets are set and that the appropriate support is in place
- Motivate and inspire the team; creating the conditions for the top performers to develop and managing under-performance in a decisive and timely manner
- Ensure team deliver best in class execution
- Overseeing planning, creation, and on-going management of Publishing & Digital campaigns
- KPI and delivery management
- Ensuring the team are selecting the best partners, inventory and data on a brief by brief basis and working with them in the most efficient and effective way
- Clear test and learn strategies
- Responsible for
- developing, negotiating and managing contracts for the year ahead
- monitoring value attribution
- developing new title rates
- communicating all contractual positions to wider team
- developing wider team knowledge in the commercial space
- Managing all audit requests
- Mediasense (Global twice yearly audit Cost and Quality)
- Inflation forecasts, baseline approvals, data submissions
- Ensuring the CHANEL’s strict Ad Ops process is adhered to at all times and stepping in, when necessary, to trouble shoot any issues
- Work with the market to ensure all executions are aligned to CHANEL’s stringent buying guarantees
Key skills and personal attributes:
- Highly developed technical media skills; able to navigate complex client needs
- Sound working understanding of all major UK media markets
- Proven ability and experience of leading and motivating a team
- Ability to quickly command respect from clients and colleagues alike
- Ability to balance competing demands of different stakeholders without deviating from an objective and independent perspective
- A great communicator able to explain complicated concepts simply
- Ability to produce compelling written work and to deliver insightful and articulate presentations
- Commercial aptitude and an ability to sell
- A ‘self-starter’ prepared to assume and carry responsibility
- Seen as the most senior digital contact across your portfolio of business
- Demonstration of thought leadership in industry events via keynotes and panels
- Leading role in department meetings and active role in agency events
- Readily sharing POVs on key industry topics to key stakeholders, clients, and the wider agency
- Inspire and lead the teams by outlining the vison of the channel and making it a reality
- Lead monthly team meetings and agenda alongside other Business Directors and Head of Department
- Develop management skills in Account Directors and coach them to lead the account teams confidently
- Regular catch ups with Account Directors to
- Understand workloads and client pressures
- Manage the development of team members, with clear SMART objectives and regular performance reviews
- Have regular check-ins with planning Business Directors and Client Leadership on the accounts portfolio to ensure teams are performing well
- Responsible for recruitment across the team
- Drive department agenda internally and externally
- Making full use of the technology available, implementing processes and practices that maximise operational efficiencies
- Ownership of best in class finance management across the team
- Ownership of team commercial forecast
- Carrying out regular SWAT analysis to identify what efficiencies and improvements can be made on current processes
- Identify opportunities for teams to utilise out-of-scope services to clients
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.