Strategic Planning Manager
WAVEMAKER’S sole focus is building brands that pioneer the future, inspire society and move customers to action. What started with a blank page and a fresh perspective has resulted in building an agency of the future.
Bound together by our Purchase Journey approach, we help clients translate audience Behaviours and insights into smart decisions today, for a prosperous tomorrow. Our organizational capabilities and specialisms, along with the talents of our 8,500 people are united through our focus on understanding, accelerating and optimizing purchase journeys. Our obsession with purchase journeys is apparent in the solutions we create for clients, in how we structure ourselves and in the job roles our people perform. So a job a WAVEMAKER may not sound like a job at any other agency, and that’s because it isn’t.
Our people are encouraged to become the best versions of themselves and share the values and behaviours of what we refer to as PACED - passionate, agile, collaborative, entrepreneurial, and diverse. With our combined global heritage coming together to create something new; our people are the brains, the data experts and the thinkers of the GroupM family.
WAVEMAKER is a leader in its field. We’re in front of transformation, making waves by making bold choices. It means the impact of our choices today creates momentum in the future.
Our vision is simple: To become the most distinctive and admired media, content and technology agency in the world.
The future is not only coming, it’s now.
Job Title: Strategic Planning Manager
Department: Journey Design/Delivery
Reporting to: Strategic Planning Director
The Account Manager sits across our Journey Design and Delivery function and supports the team in ensuring that we produce and deliver strategic plans that drive impact for our client. Everything we do is rooted in Purchase Journey thinking, ensuring that we are maximising effectiveness and efficiency at every moment.
The Account Manager’s role can broadly be split into two key areas of responsibility:
Firstly, you will work with the Account Director to ensure best in class planning and operational excellence across the client’s business. This means efficiently working with the Strategic Planning Lead and Journey Activation teams to create and sustain excellent ways of working within the team. You will support the Account Director to ensure that everyone internally involved in deploying the approved Journey Design knows what needs to be done, by when, and to what budget, providing regular status reports and contact reports to clients, and managing budgeting and finance on behalf of the team. You will lead the planning on smaller campaigns and support on the main annual brand plans.
Secondly, you will be the externally facing contact, building strong relationships with day to day clients, delivering plans, responding to requests, managing meetings and regular reporting with clients and their other partners (creative agencies, research agencies, auditors etc). Supported by the Account Assistant you will maintain the efficient working of the account to ensure all relevant details are reported, shared, and explained.
The role focuses on BMW which is one the agency’s largest and most exciting clients.
The Client – BMW:
Wavemaker has worked with BMW for almost 3 years now and are positioned as a key strategic partner. Responsible for planning media, content and technology at every stage of the purchase journey we play a vital role in helping BMW deliver their business targets each year. From planning and buying TV campaigns to support new car launches, to partnering with Global Radio and Snowbombing Festival, to putting in place a dynamic creative platform to personalise digital advertising, the work is fast-paced, exciting and varied.
We have developed a really close relationship with the clients over the past 3 years and spend time with them down in Farnborough, or have them work form our offices when they are in London.
2020 is going to be an extremely exciting year for BMW with a number of new car launches, a greater focus on storytelling, and a dynamic and ever-changing market to contend with.
The Role – Strategic Planning Manager:
The successful candidate will consistently deliver the below at the highest standards:
- Ability to build and maintain client and agency relationships at mid-level seniority. Clarity in delivering media recommendations to clients. Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of your client’s industry sector and their competitors. Someone client’s value and want on their business.
- Represents the company in a professional manner to clients, media owners, and suppliers. Has a high level of enthusiasm, cares about the business and wants to make a difference.
- Responsible for training and development of executives, and assistants within the team with support from their Director. Is fully aware of direct report’s personal developmental tasks and enables their growth. Sets clear standards and quality controls the team’s work ensuring they deliver work on time.
- Collaborative: Excellent team player who actively contributes to the high morale and motivation of the team. Facilitates a close and productive working relationship with all other WM specialisms to produce brilliant work for our clients. Is able to form strong professional relationships with creative agencies and media owners. Writing clear briefs and providing feedback on work provided.
- Has engendered the respect of those they have worked with. Has high levels of integrity and builds trust with ease. Sets a good example within the team. Is a calm, reliable and self-motivated individual.
Strategy & Planning
- Best in Class Planning. You will work with your Director to produce and where appropriate present strategy and rationales, media plans, and results and monthly and quarterly performance reviews to clients. Require a confident media planner, with a good understanding of all major media channels. Able to work alongside strategists and specialists to interpret client briefs and develop a comms strategy to address it.
- Responsible for sourcing and analysing data to get a deeper understanding of the purchase journey using Wavemaker tools and systems (including Momentum, Crossmedia, Pathfinder, Benchmark) and industry sources (including YouGov Profiles, TGI and IPA Touchpoints). Responsible for the training, uptake and employment of tools with their direct reports.
- Proactively uncovering new insights to inform planning and approach to strategy
- Values ideas. Thinks creatively in their role. A creative ‘bright spark’ constantly coming up with ideas. Creating and Championing WOW work within the team, the client and the agency.
- Articulate. Can create a well thought through presentation with a coherent argument, which requires minimal input from colleagues to make it ‘client ready’.
- The Face of the strategy into the activation teams. Able to understand a strategy and how it translates into media activation. Will write clear and inspiring briefs for media specialists, ensuring every brief has a clear set of SMART KPIs and measurable outcomes.
- Proactive in offering to help. Volunteers to participate in internal projects and provides help on new business pitches as required.
- Actively seek out new trends, industry new / updates and product launches and share with wider team. Has a drive to make themselves better at what they do and to increase their knowledge. Maintains detailed topical knowledge of relevant media developments, and actively seek opportunities to learn. Will use their curious nature to deliver critical thinking to challenges and how to solve them.
Campaign Management & Performance
- Operational Management. You will be responsible for managing client status documents and attend and contribute to weekly client team status meetings. Must be able to communicate performance and updates in a clear, concise, and actionable manor on client status calls. Helps manage and prioritise the workload of their Executives, taking full ownership of their quality output and managing activation specialist team outputs. Ensures all client requirements are met and surpassed, executing requests in a timely, professional and efficient manner. Carries out all client related administrative tasks with care, efficiency and thoroughness.
- End to End management of campaign and its performance.
- Turning Data into Insight. Is responsible for ensuring campaign performance is tracked, reported, optimised and learnings implemented into future campaigns so that Clients have a clear understanding of how we are continuously improving
- Commercially minded. Has a solid commercial understanding of their clients and of WM’s products and services. Has a comprehensive understanding of client accounts including media spend, campaign status and competitive activity. Is aware of the implications that client contracts may have on planning.
- Budget control. Has very effective administration duties, understands the importance of sound financial awareness, including budget control, and the impact their role has on WM profitability and encourages this amongst their team. Can be entirely trusted to accurately control purchase orders relating to campaigns. Responsible for ensuring all bookings and reconciliation are completed correctly and on time and are SOX compliant and swift resolution of queries.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.