Data & Technology Partnerships Manager
GroupM is the leading global media investment management operation. It serves as the parent company to WPP media agencies MediaCom, Mindshare, Wavemaker, m/SIX and Xaxis. Its primary purpose is to maximise the performance of WPP’s media communications agencies on behalf of our clients, our shareholders and our people by operating as a parent and collaborator in performance-enhancing activities such as trading, content creation, sports, digital, finance, proprietary tool development and other business-critical capabilities. The agencies that comprise GroupM are all global operations in their own right with leading market positions.
The focus of GroupM is the intelligent application of physical and intellectual scale to benefit trading, innovation, and new communication services, to bring unfair competitive advantage to our clients and our companies.
About the Partnerships team
The Data & Technology Partnerships team is responsible for managing the third-party data & technology vendor relationships across GroupM, ensuring that our agencies have access to the best ad technology, research and planning tools and data solutions with best in market commercial terms and contract conditions.
Through a combination of background and marketplace reviews, RFIs and live-environment testing, the Partnerships team assess third party technology vendors’ suitability for use by our agencies, then using the size and buying power of the combined group drives cost effective commercial agreements delivering maximum value for our clients. Approved vendors are then operationally and relationship managed by the partnerships team where appropriate.
Each partnerships manager owns a portfolio of vendor categories, and for each vendor category has overall responsibility for maintaining GroupM’s perspective on the category marketplace, owning the negotiation and contracting process for selected partners, and supervising the operational management of established partnerships with the support of a small team of partnership executives. The also own the relationships with key partners within each category and are key to ensuring that these partnerships deliver value to GroupM and our clients.
The successful candidate’s portfolio will include some of the following categories: ad servers, content verification technologies, DSPs, data partners, bid management tools, research platforms and channel-specific solutions such as SEO tools. They will be expected to o become a subject matter expert in each of their assigned categories and be a first point of call for enquiries from stakeholders within the group.
There is scope for the partnerships manager to have line management responsibility for one or more partnerships executives, depending on previous management experience and the preferences of the successful candidate.
Other responsibilities of the role include:
- Completing periodic audits of technology solutions used within our agencies and identifying usage patterns. Leading periodic audits across all relevant technology verticals to create and maintain GroupM Evaluation Documentation
- Building strong relationships with Heads of Data, Technology and Operations in our agencies, demonstrating strong collaborative and influencing skills.
- Working with the Head of Partnerships on commercial and contractual negotiations best practices, market assessment templates and other reusable “tools” in the partnerships toolkit.
- Working with agency frontline operations teams to identify shortfalls in current technology and act as an expert customer to lobby for solutions to these shortfalls from vendors.
- Identifying opportunities to consolidate our technology partners, reducing the volume of suppliers whilst creating greater value from those who remain.
- Identify cost saving potential via more effective usage of licences, seats or capability as well as by pursuing improved contract terms.
- Manage stakeholder relationships to ensure that preferred supplier technology is adopted optimally at agency level.
- Manage vendor relationships through both growth of business and conflict periods to maintain essential services required by Agencies/Clients
- Maintaining market awareness of emerging technologies that may bring competitive advantage to our clients and establishing relationships at the earliest opportunity.
- Take ownership of and regularly update the Value Log (record of cost reduction and cost avoidance)
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable ad operations, digital media buying or similar experience gained within digital marketing and advertising.
- A demonstrable passion for technology and data, and its application to marketing and advertising, as well as a high degree of tech savvyness.
- Experience in at least one of the following categories: ad servers, content verification technologies, DSPs, data partners, bid management tools.
- Highly Numerate with a detailed approach to work, with excellent excel skills and analytical ability.
- Structured, clear communicator, with experience writing documentation for wide distribution across an organisation – strong Word and PowerPoint skills are essential.
- Experience in running RFI / RFP processes highly desirable.
- Partner management and negotiation experience highly desirable.
- Technical or marketing undergraduate degree a plus.
- Structured, clear communicator.
- Excellent organisational skills.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.