Global Innovation Manager, Unilever
Job title: Global Innovation Manager
Group: Worldwide Strategy
Reports to: Global Innovation Director
Ours is the story of the eternal upstart and change is in our DNA. We were born with the ambition to change the world through media. Raised in Asia, we are now the world’s most geographically balanced global network spanning US, Latin America, Europe and Asia. Mindshare’s birth in 1997 shifted the focus from media as a pure commodity to media as a change agent.
Our ambition was to go beyond the traditional media descriptors of “Optimise, Capitalise, Maximise.” We will not be defined by the formulaic definitions of media. Mindshare’s story is about teamwork. It’s why we called ourselves Mindshare in the first place!
We were designed to be a global network, balanced in every region, with clients benefitting from both global and local insights. Today 75% of our business is global and our global network and integrated approach is our strength.
We are a global media agency network with billings in excess of US$31.4 billion (source: RECMA) and our network consists of more than 7,000 employees, in 116 offices across 86 countries. Mindshare is part of GroupM, which oversees the media investment management sector for WPP, the world’s leading communications services group.
Purpose of the Role:
Audiences are becoming harder to reach, engage and persuade. Disruptive technologies are eroding Unilever’s scale advantage in media.
In this context it is vital that Unilever innovates in media to maintain competitive advantage. The Global Media Innovation team therefore exists to solve Unilever’s business challenges in new ways through media.
As part of this team, the Global Innovation Manager is responsible for infusing the global media strategies with innovative media ideas and guiding local implementation throughout the relevant Mindshare offices. The role will be based in London.
Reporting and Responsibilities:
The Global Innovation Manager reports directly to the Global Innovation Directors and will work with the Unilever WW Innovation Lead. All direct reports are based in London.
The Global Innovation Manager will form part of a team of dedicated Unilever Innovation specialists, in turn part of the 20+ strong Unilever Global Communications Planning team. The Innovation team will work across all five Unilever categories – Dove & Baby, Hair & Deo, Homecare, Refreshment & ULB, Food & Oral Care.
SUMMARY: Support in the strategic development of Global Media Strategies so that they include innovative media solutions. Identify and evaluate any partnerships that need to be created to deliver said solutions.
Drive campaign-based innovation: support in the development of media innovation concepts into the Unilever Brand Experience Toolkits (BETs) and guide the implementation teams on the activation of the assets.
Drive strategic innovation: contribute to the development of Innovation Agendas for Strategic Media Models, which defines a brand’s three-year vision.
Leverage the internal expertise and knowledge throughout the Mindshare network to ensure local learnings and insights form inputs into global innovation approaches.
Become a Trusted Partner to the Unilever clients, particularly the media and brand teams, as well as CMI.
Actively seek forums to build client orientated relationships, mobilise the network and share best practice – through media days, conferences, awards ceremonies, weekly calls, quarterly get together and any other feedback loops
Develop strong partnerships with Unilever creative agencies and internal Unilever creative teams such as U-Studio
Take ownership of two emerging areas of the Digital Disruption Roadmap and provide quarterly updates on these areas.
Skills & knowledge:
The ideal candidate will have significant industry experience, ideally within a Media Agency or Digital Agency environment, not necessarily in a Global role, but has a proven track record of delivering strategic and innovative work. A good understanding of the media environment and industry and of the key partners, publishers and media owners who will be relevant to Unilever. Specific skills will include the following:
- Strong strategic thinker with a creative mindset
- Demonstrates a hunger to challenge convention and a drive to find new and better ways of doing things.
- Highly experienced in Digital media with a solid knowledge of key media principles
- Exceptional client servicing skills
- Awareness and understanding of research tools, including Mindshare proprietary tools, syndicated services and publicly available data.
- Up to date knowledge of media owners, content owners, production agencies, research companies and other suppliers which Unilever can partner with.
- Articulate with good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent numeric and analytical skills and the ability to translate statistics into insight and actions
- Accuracy with great attention to detail
- A team player who is comfortable with dealing with senior clients and colleagues around the world
- Organized and able to work well under pressure with the ability to manage and execute on multiple tasks
- Possesses the capacity to work independently
- Excellent organization and time-management abilities
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Proactive and an eagerness to learn, develop and grow as part of an ambitious team
- Foreign language is a bonus
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.