WM Play - Digital Manager
GroupM recently merged two of its leading global networks, MEC and Maxus, to form a brand new media, content and technology agency – one of the largest in the world. WAVEMAKER exists to be Future Makers: to build brands that pioneer the future, inspire society and move customers to action. What started with a blank page and a fresh perspective has resulted in building an agency of future.
Bound together by our Purchase Journey approach, we help clients translate audience behaviours and insights into smart decisions today, for a prosperous tomorrow. Our organizational capabilities and specialisms, along with the talents of our 8,500 people are united through our focus on understanding, accelerating and optimizing purchase journeys. Our obsession with purchase journeys is apparent in the solutions we create for clients, in how we structure ourselves and in the job roles our people perform. So a job a WAVEMAKER may not sound like a job at any other agency, and that’s because it isn’t.
Our people are encouraged to become the best versions of themselves and share the values and behaviours of what we refer to as PACED - passionate, agile, collaborative, entrepreneurial, and diverse. With our combined global heritage coming together to create something new; our people are the brains, the data experts and the thinkers of the GroupM family.
WAVEMAKER is a leader in its field. We’re in front of transformation, making waves by making bold choices. It means the impact of our choices today creates momentum into the future.
Our vision is simple: To become the most distinctive and admired media, content and technology agency in the world.
The future is not only coming, it’s now.
Job Title: Digital Manager
Reporting to: Digital Director
Key reports: Direct Reports: Digital Executive
This role sits within WAVEMAKER Play, our entertainment division. The primary client is the consumer electronics brand Huawei, and our secondary client is Ubisoft the video gaming company. The remit for our primary client Huawei is planning and activation across all digital channels, with a focus on activation. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in paid search but also experience working in display, paid social & programmatic campaigns.
The Huawei client is the fastest growing business in the agency and we have the potential to show real leadership and innovation in the category.
Key areas of responsibility:
Firstly, you will provide our clients with excellent servicing.
Secondly, you will be expected to translate strategy into gold standard activations.
Thirdly, you will be expected to control the quality of the day to day work.
Fourthly, you will be expected to maximize value for both WAVEMAKER and their clients.
Fifthly, you will lead by example.
Lastly, you will seek to innovate to produce tangible business results.
- Provide our clients with excellent servicing
- You will work with your Digital Director and Digital Business Director to produce and at times present strategy and rationales, media plans, projections, and results to clients
- You will be responsible for liaising with the appropriate clients with regards to: search and social performance, optimisation plans, testing schedules, competitor analysis and industry news
- Working with the Digital Director you will present – as appropriate – at monthly and quarterly business reviews
- You will need to develop and demonstrate an in depth knowledge of your clients’ industry sector and their competitors
- Translate strategy into gold-standard activations
- You will work with the Digital Director and the Digital Business Director in taking client briefs and creating innovative delivery plans and rationale document that demonstrate how you will deliver quantifiable outcomes.
- You will be required to provide KPI projections, benchmarks and forecasts for your channels in response to client briefs
- You will need a good working knowledge of key industry planning tools and platforms (e.g.TGI, Comscore, Hitwise, Google Insight tools, Facebook Audience Planner) to enable you to build robust plans and rationale documents that justify your media selections
- Testing plans will be a key component of this role, you will work with your Digital Director and media owners (e.g. Xaxis, Google, Facebook etc.) to create and deliver ongoing robust testing plans
- In conjunction with your client, client team and Specialist Leads you will create case studies each quarter to be entered into annual specialist awards (e.g. Direct Marketing Awards, UK Search Awards, Drum Marketing Awards, Xaxie Awards, Media Week Awards etc.)
- Control the quality if the day to day work
- Quality control check and take full ownership of the output of your Executive/s
- Ensure every brief you receive has a clear set of measurable outcomes and that all parties (client, client teams and your specialist team) are agreed on these outcomes / KPI’s
- You will be responsible for meeting and exceeding any agreed targets
- You will work with the Digital Director and Executive to ensure every account has an insight driven clear and achievable 30/60/90 day optimisation schedule. It will be imperative that the client is aware of this plan and the outcomes it will deliver
- Each week you will review, with your specialist team, performance against targets and adjust optimisation activities accordingly
- Every month and quarter you will work with your executive and the Digital Director (and Head of Specialism if required) to review and amend the 30/60/90 day optimisation schedules for your clients which will deliver quantifiable outcomes
- It will be your responsibility to ensure timely delivery against the agreed 30/60/90 optimisation schedules
- You will need to check that your team are logging all significant actions on your account to feed into post campaign reviews and to help shape future activity
- You will regularly work with heads of Search and Social to ensure your teams’ activity is audited regularly and is best in class
- Each quarter you will be required to audit the Search and/or Social activity of other teams within WM and feedback recommendations
- You will need to have a excellent working knowledge of industry and WM tools and systems (e.g. DFA, Google Ads, Google Analytics, Facebook Business Manager, IAS, and Sizmek where possible) and must ensure that your executives are using them correctly to monitor performance and conduct daily checks to confirm budget pacing is as planned and that activity is serving correctly
- You should attend and contribute to weekly client team status meetings and monthly specialist team meetings
- You will need to manage the delivery of weekly/fortnightly/monthly reports and ensure that they contain insightful commentary on performance, key optimisations and recommended next steps
- Maximise value for both WAVEMAKER and their clients
- Ensure all of your accounts and your executive(s) are booked onto the finance system correctly, reconciled within the monthly window, that financial queries are addressed in a timely manner and that financial processes are followed correctly, especially in relation to SOX compliance, plan approval & PO receipt / reconciliation
- Work to overall account performance related fee targets as outlined by the Digital Business Director
- Work with the Digital Business Director and Digital Director to ensure you and your executive(s) spend the right amount of time on each client
- Develop strong negotiation skills to construct deals which maximise value both for clients and WAVEMAKER and help your executive(s) to build on their own skills in this area
- Work closely with Trading & Barter teams to identify new opportunities to help meet commercial objectives for your clients and WAVEMAKER and ensure that all your plans and that of your team are shared with them prior to being shown to clients
- Be fully aware of all WAVEMAKER / GroupM deal partners and priorities and have a good understanding of their individual capabilities
- If working on an audited client, ensure you understand the process and methodology for benchmarking and work with your manager to collate and deliver all relevant data sets as per agreed deadlines
- Ensure timesheets are up-to-date and accurate for yourself and your executive(s) each month
- Lead by example
- Lead and line manage your executive(s)
- Responsible for the training and development of your executive(s) with support from your Specialist Lead
- Accountable for the workflow and quality of work of your executive(s), ensuring that they deliver work on time and to a high standard that is aligned to your client’s digital media strategy
- Ensure you and your executive(s) have the correct qualifications at all times (e.g. Google Ads, Facebook Blueprint etc.)
- Review, provide feedback and set objectives for your executive(s) every 6 weeks
- Innovate to produce tangible business results
- Help your Digital Director and Digital Business Director to leverage key media owner relationships and client data insights in order to produce work which drives tangible business results for our clients
- Develop strong relationships with relevant media owners at an appropriate level, especially Xaxis and vertical specialist teams at Google, Facebook and Twitter and other external agencies on your clients businesses
- In conjunction with your Digital Director, work with key media owners such as Xaxis, Plista, Light Reaction and other WAVEMAKER deal partners to identify new products and features our clients should be testing, including Google, Bing, Facebook & Twitter Betas and Alpha tests to ensure your clients activity is best in class
- Work with your Digital Director to produce case studies with media owners such as Google & Facebook
- Actively seek out new trends, industry new / updates and product launches and share with wider team
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.