Digital Director - Walgreens Boots Alliance
MediaCom - Digital Director
Overview of job
The Digital Director is the primary digital lead Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) - Boots and Boots Global Brands - in the UK. They are responsible for 8 figures worth of annual digital expenditure, with the primary objective of growing the WBA business, in the short and long term. They are ultimately responsible for managing senior client relationships to better understand business challenges, whilst leading a team of c.15 specialist planners and buyers – across PPC, Paid Social, Digital Display, Affiliates and Ops - to deliver a best in class digital offering for WBA. The Digital Director is also tasked with identifying current trends and changes in the digital landscape and articulating how they are relevant for their client’s businesses.
WBA is in an extremely unique and interesting position, in terms of its agency relationships, as they utilise the full suite of WPP agencies - Ogilvy, Bookmark, Grey, Wunderman Thompson and Kantar, to name a few – to deliver everything from production and PR, through to TV and digital display.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Digital and Data Partner.
3 best things about the job:
- Navigating the ever-changing world of retail, and ensuring that WBA are on the front foot against pure play retailers, digital natives and category disruptors
- Working with a variety of talented and knowledgeable specialist teams across online and offline channels to deliver the best solution for the client.
- Working as part of a ‘one WPP’ team, meeting regularly with partner agencies such as Ogilvy and Kantar, to devise collaborative WPP initiatives
Measures of success –
In three months, you would have:
- Met all relevant stakeholders both within MediaCom, the clients and other relevant WPP parties
- Formulated a 100-day plan for how you will be looking to evolve the digital output across your client’s business
- Taken control of any existing WBA digital projects, which have been left by your predecessor
In six months, you would have:
- Become the primary contact for senior clients in terms of digital planning and thought leadership on relevant subjects i.e. measurement, creative, data and tech.
- Fully assessed the structure and talent within your team to ensure that it is set-up to deliver upon your ambitions for driving the client’s business forward.
In 12 months, you would have:
- Become an extension of the client’s team and considered an integral part of achieving their marketing / business objectives
- Grown your profile within MediaCom to be considered one of the primary digital leaders within the agency. You will also have helped deliver upon numerous projects outside of client work i.e. thought leadership pieces, pitches, tech assessment.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Key day-to-day point of contact for senior clients regarding digital media and associated topics
- Actively engaging with those senior client to deliver thought leadership on key trends or a POV on ad-hoc questions that may arise.
- The escalation point for senior clients where necessary and ultimately responsible for delivering acceptable / realistic solutions.
Strategy & Planning:
- Drive long-term digital development for the clients business
- Create transformational roadmaps, to step-change WBA’s approach to digital
- Lead delivery of existing transformation roadmaps
- Lead the digital & data elements within annual planning
- Ensure that long term strategies are being delivered at a campaign level
- Lead strategic digital & data partner relations on the client e.g. Google and Facebook
- Deliver campaigns that meet digital PRF requirements outlined in client contracts
- Work with the Digital Associate Director to deliver audit requirements where relevant
- Ensure that campaigns are planned within the trading and investment guidelines set by the Investment Team
- Identify opportunities to grow revenue by cross-selling additional MediaCom services and developing bespoke solutions on behalf of clients.
- Lead and line manage the wider team ensuring they deliver work on time and to a high standard that is aligned to the clients’ digital media strategy
- Responsible for development of the team with support from across MediaCom
- Identify specialist training and develop needs of their team and work with the specialist leads to facilitate
- Ensure all members of the team are adequately qualified where applicable: Google Ads Google Search Ads 360, Facebook Ads Manager, etc
Innovation & Collaboration
- Work with specialist leads and media owners to identify new products and features our clients should be testing
- Aim to get WBA on relevant Beta tests
- Work with specialists leads to produce case studies which will be shared both internally and with clients.
- Develop strong relationships with relevant media owners, especially Xaxis and vertical specialist teams at Google, Facebook and Twitter
What you will need:
- A proven track-record in terms of delivering innovative and effective solutions for clients
- A genuine passion for digital marketing and an interest in how the landscape is evolving
- A strong understanding of offline channels and how they can work in conjunction with online channels
- The ability to delegate effectively and multi-task where necessary.
- Translate complicated technical concepts into terms that clients can understand and relate back to their business challenges
- The ability to manage senior relationships both internally and externally.
*Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at MediaCom London*
MediaCom is “The Content + Connections Agency”, working on behalf of its clients to leverage their brands’ entire system of communications across paid, owned and earned channels to step change their business outcomes.
Employing over 1,200 staff across 5 regional offices, MediaCom is the leading agency in the UK in terms of billings. Its client roster includes British Sky Broadcasting, DFS, GlaxoSmithKline, Tesco and Cancer Research UK.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do; we firmly believe in our “People First, Better Results” philosophy and want to be certain that work is always challenging, engaging and satisfying. We aim to ensure that that our employees’ skills are constantly evolving, and so provide all MediaCom staff with training and development and regular appraisals to enhance their performances and guarantee great results for them and the company.
We also strive to change traditional attitudes to workplace culture by offering a more holistic view of employees' aspirations. There are numerous initiatives for MediaCommers to take part in, from the Social Club to Mindfulness Training, to help ensure that our employees thoroughly enjoy their experience here.
We aim to be the only agency that talented people want to work for. We do this, not only by stimulating and challenging our people through great work and outstanding clients, but by providing a variety of learning programs, cultural initiatives and an exciting environment to invigorate our employees personal and professional career development.
MediaCom was named Campaign’s Agency of the Decade and received top marks in its 2016 School Report.
MediaCom is a member of WPP, the world's largest marketing communications services group, and part of GroupM, WPP’s consolidated media investment management arm.
To find out more about MediaCom visit us here: www.mediacom.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MediaComUK
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mediacomuk/?hl=en
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.