GroupM | Legal Counsel
GroupM is the leading global media investment management operation serving as the parent company to WPP media agencies including Mindshare, Wavemaker and MediaCom each global operations in their own right with leading market positions. GroupM’s primary purpose is to maximize performance of WPP’s media agencies by operating as leader and collaborator in trading, content creation, sports, digital, finance, proprietary tool development and other business-critical capabilities. GroupM’s focus is to deliver unrivalled marketplace advantage to its clients, stakeholders and people.
About the team
This is a senior role in the finance team of GroupM NL reporting into the CFO of GroupM NL. The role will work closely with GroupM departments, the commercial leads within the Agency and Specialist companies.
Overview of role
The role is for a sole lawyer based in the Amsterdam, Netherlands office, who will assist with legal matters across GroupM and all of its agencies/specialists. This role reports directly into GroupM NL’s CFO working closely with GroupM’s Global General Counsel. Much of the work will be in supporting on commercial matters, technology and IP. Other commercial/advisory work may be required from time to time. The work will comprise a significant proportion of contract drafting and negotiation but will also encompass a range of advice to the business on legal issues arising in relation to our technologies, data usage and data privacy as well as other commercial issues.
- Drafting and assisting the commercial team with negotiating global client services agreements
- Assisting the commercial team in understanding legal developments
- Working with key stakeholders in the business to manage risk in new and emerging products and services
- Drafting and negotiating supplier agreements, technology licenses, data processing agreements, IP matters and non-disclosure agreements
- Assisting the business in ensuring ongoing compliance with agreed contractual terms and working on ad hoc projects to improve efficiencies/compliance across the business
- Helping to create a high profile of the legal resource throughout the business and encouraging active legal involvement in operational decision making
Candidate must have:
- Training completed within a law firm
- At least 4 year PQE
- Interest in Media
- Desire to develop drafting skills and engage in commercial negotiations
- Willingness to roll up their sleeves and learn how to apply the law practically to a complex business
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritizing conflicting demands from multiple business leads under tight deadlines.
- Able to think strategically and demonstrate sound judgment/good business sense
- Dutch is mandatory
Bonuses, but not requirements:
- Experience of drafting contracts or other legal documents (litigators considered)
- Experience working with cross-border/international issues
WPP is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.