Growth Director - New Business
We are Wavemaker. Our ambition is to be the most distinctive and admired media, content and technology agency in the world. Find out more at: www.wavemakerglobal.com.
Role outline The ‘Growth’ (new business and marketing) team is at the heart of Wavemaker UK’s new business and reputation efforts. This new role is one of two leads in the team, responsible for leading our pitch responses, driving prospecting and helping to create a positive and motivating culture for growth with our people. We’re looking for someone who can make an impact in their work, personality and culture. This is a fast-paced environment and requires a dynamic, ‘can do’ attitude. It also offers the chance to experience every part of our agency, GroupM and the wider WPP network.
• To help drive business growth for Wavemaker UK in line with our targets.
• Lead on pitch responses.
• To drive our prospecting efforts across the whole of the UK.
• To drive training and education initiatives to help develop the right culture in the agency.
• Create a positive and nurturing culture for growth within the team and the wider agency.
• Help develop the UK prospecting strategy across all divisions and units.
• Help activate and manage the prospecting programme.
• Help our UK divisions (e.g. WM North, WM Play, WM Select and WM Business) develop their offer to drive new growth.
• Lead pitch projects.
• Lead RFI/RFP responses.
• Help steward pitch meetings, offering strategic, commercial and creative consultancy.
• Interrogate the brief and organise the team to deliver excellent results, ahead of time.
• Create appropriate teams to work on specific pitches.
• Allocate resource across pitches in close collaboration with other teams.
• Help teams tell their story clearly and effectively.
• Work closely with WM Studio (our in-house design team) to create relevant content.
• Identify (and help, if appropriate) potential growth opportunities within client business.
• Help our UK divisions (e.g. WM North, WM Play, WM Select and WM Business) to develop their offer to drive organic growth.
• Oversee monthly reporting and analysis for the UK business, GroupM UK and WPP.
Culture and team
• Help make new business attractive to the rest of the agency.
• Inspire, develop and manage UK Growth Manager.
• Work closely with the Marketing team to help drive Wavemaker’s reputation in the UK.
Training and education
• Run and develop expert modules to help develop our agency teams in pitch best practice.
Skills and behaviours
1. Strong leadership qualities, attention to detail and delivery to deadlines.
2. Excellent communicator with outstanding organisation skills.
3. Be approachable, helpful and easy to work with.
4. Excellent written English and communication skills.
5. Ability to work independently but, more importantly, motivate and coach as a team player.
6. Ability to adapt in a fast-paced environment.
7. Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially PowerPoint).
Experience and Qualifications
• An already established lead with an understanding of media and the mechanics would be ideal
• Experience of involvement in new business pitches and prospecting.
• Media agency experience not essential – we’re looking for a fresh approach.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us via TalentTeam.UK@GroupM.com.