Media Lab | SEM Director
GroupM is the world’s largest media investment company and are a part of WPP. In fact, we are responsible for one in every three ads you see globally. We are currently looking for a SEM Director to join us. In this role, you will be responsible for for campaign search leadership across the agency, managing campaign architecture, planning and implementation through their well-resourced team.
At GroupM APAC, our people are our strength, which is why fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion is important to us.
The role has exposure to a range of technology stacks, complex performance frameworks and client-based data integration. The role also involves exposure and decisioning across business/performance digital strategy.
It’s the perfect role for someone looking to develop their discipline-based leadership, but who’s not prepared to let go of the dynamic world of campaign management. Additionally, the role offers plenty of client exposure, and is perfect for someone who wants to either maintain or improve their client facing skills. Our side-by-side working relationship with the Westpac team also offers exposure to agile working units across multiple parts of the organisation, not just media.
The Westpac business is a mature media client with an advanced technology roadmap, strategic planning frameworks and approaches to data. You will work across a range of technology stacks + teams to assist you in bringing campaigns successfully to market.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Head of Technology and Digital Delivery. You will have a team of SEM Managers, SEM Executives and coordinators.
3 best things about the job:
- Allows you to work deep within your search discipline, but with exposure to broad business strategy and technology
- We’re completely dedicated to one client, meaning there are great opportunities to develop client relationships, as well as gaining exposure to their business beyond media
- It’s a great agency to work! We are very well resourced, we all have a very positive work-life balance and we have a fantastic culture
Measures of success
In three months, you would have:
- Become proficient in the client’s business, product portfolio and approach to digital media
- Built relationships internally, with media partners, with the Westpac media team and the greater digital teams within the Westpac business.
- A strong understanding of the KPIs and key deliverables within your team and be on track to deliver these
- Demonstrated a thorough understanding of Westpac and Media Lab’s compliance processes and their role in our work
- Developed a good understanding of the competitive landscape and built an opinion on how to engage that market
- A strong understanding of key technology platforms, with the ability to teach your team
In six months, you would have:
- Developed a strong understanding of the Westpac and Media Lab technology stacks and the impacts on campaigns
- Used available technology and data to build best-in-market campaign architecture, maximising yield from campaign delivery
- Driven efficiencies in the team through process re-engineering
- Worked independently to lead your teams in day-to-day operations
- Delivered across the baseline of “Brilliant Basics” and driving toward positive “Google Honours” results
- Built a strong leadership position with the Westpac media and greater digital teams
In 12 months, you would have:
- Established a strong leadership position across the agency, in search, thought leadership and culture.
- Worked with the digital technology and strategy leads to evolve the SEM approach to market
- Worked on special technology and data projects, outside of the day-to-day
- Led and owned all client-based conversations related to SEM portfolio-based work. This includes challenging the client and building confidence in our performance approaches
- Built a team-based culture of performance, driving toward maximising campaign yield through your teams
Responsibilities of the role:
- Continuously improve planning and implementation standards across the team
- Being the leader and key point of contact for the media team across the Westpac brands
- Working closely with the planning and agile working leads to activate campaigns
- Lead the relationship with media owners to ensure a strong understanding of the business
- Be a thought leader, staying across key industry updates and trends
- Ensure campaigns are activated in market with 100% accuracy, through your team.
- Be a leader in the agency, through your discipline and across the agency culture
- Attend agile working streams and meetings at the client when required
- Train, develop and coach your team in technology and campaign architecture standards
What you will need:
- 5+ years experience and someone who is keen to teach, train, nurture and can work in a dynamic environment
- A passion for the media industry and a strong understanding of the search landscape
- A keen interest in driving performance of your client’s business
- A willingness to work within performance planning principles and technology platforms
- A preference to collaboration and team-based working
- Strong attention to detail
- Digital technology skills, specifically across Google and Adobe products
- Good relationships within the marketplace
About Media Lab
Media Lab is the dedicated media community for the Westpac Banking Group. With collaboration at the heart of everything we do, we have developed a shared vision with the Westpac marketing team as well as aligning our values and behaviours all of which are built on a foundation of trust and transparency.
We are a team of 50+ specialists working across all paid, owned and earned channels using science & creativity to drive compelling, end to end media connections across the full ecosystem of channels.
Our teams are built around discipline expertise and connected by a truly channel neutral planning and analytics team. Together they apply a scientific approach to planning which guides our thinking working in tandem with deep partnerships with key creative, media, technology, and data partners. This allows us to build bespoke teams to tackle challenges where we are all working as one regardless of background or employer. What gets us out of bed every day is to be known for challenging ourselves and others to push the boundaries of media that propels the Westpac Group ambition.
Our way of working and philosophy makes Media Lab what it is, both in terms of our culture as well as the work we do and the performance we drive.
GroupM leads and shapes media markets by delivering performance enhancing media products and services, powered by data and technology. Our global network agencies and businesses enable our people to work collaboratively across borders with the best in class, providing them the opportunity to accelerate their progress and development. We are not limited by teams or geographies; our scale and diverse range of clients lets us be more adventurous with our business and talent. We give our talent the space, support and tools to innovate and grow.
GroupM APAC is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our people are our strength so we respect and nurture their individual talent and potential.