Wavemaker | General Manager
We believe there always is a better way to grow. We positively provoke growth for our clients by reshaping consumer decision-making and experiences through media, content and technology. The Wavemaker way is globally consistent. Fueled by the world’s most powerful consumer data, we understand where and how marketing can intervene decisively to help brands win more sales.
Our name is our mission and our method. To make waves, you need to be provocative, even fearless. We do our best work for brave brands and people who want to be challenged to go further and faster. We know it’s not easy, but if it’s in you, we will get it out of you.
Our 7,600 people across 90 markets provoke growth for some of the world’s leading brands and businesses. Our attitude of Positive Provocation is enabled by:
- deep knowledge we have of our clients’ business
- confidence to challenge what’s gone before
- the support to go further than we thought possible
We are a part of GroupM, WPP’s global media investment management company. Discover more on wavemakerglobal.com, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Reporting line: This role reports to the Managing Partner /Vice President
3 best things about the job:
- This company has been one of the best units not only in Wavemaker India but also in the Global fold, & GroupM India. It will need you to be resourceful, be driven as well, as have the ability to drive your teams to newer heights and create your own new stellar success stories
- You get to wear multiple hats – the brand expert, the creative storyteller, the analytical wizard, the digital expert & the communication-planning expert. This will have both its days of heady achievement, as well as days of frustration as the job is not easy and many competitors are trying as much as you to be the client's trusted advisor.
- You get to work with a great bunch of peers who will both inspire and challenge you, as well as be an ace up your sleeves for the growth as well gain personal fame for yourself and your team
Measures of success –
In three months, you will:
- Establish a leadership stance among key partners, both on the client and agency side.
- Translate the client’s needs into clear direction and leadership for all Wavemaker and GroupM resources working on the account.
- Become completely familiar with the client’s organizational structure, planning process, marketing calendar and the needs of key partners
- Understand the Wavemaker way of working and are able to navigate through the verticals, with a clear understanding of client goals and set the base for AOR in terms of operational excellence in the strategic and implementation media space
In six months, you will:
- Be the recognized trusted advisor, execute “media first” innovations and deliver exceptional returns on investment and effort.
- Start working towards the vision of AOR drawing threads across all disparate projects being managed on the client into the core operations
In 12 months, you will:
- Start working towards the client’s larger vision and create a World Class Media outfit in lines with it
- Build client satisfaction by soliciting feedback and operating as a consultant.
- Be our client's most valued business partner, famous for inspiring people and special outcomes.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Financial performance of the cluster of clients with a mix of CPG, Tech, Retail, and BFSI– meeting overall revenue targets and ensuring profitability of the cluster. Would need to focus on opportunities for higher-order value-added services.
- Client Satisfaction:
- Acts as a client visionary by bringing a highly valued perspective to the client based on a deep understanding of their business, issues, and opportunities. Should be able to lead strategic conversations on Media and communication planning
- Lead the charge on developing the roadmap for data science, insight lead, and end-to-end measurable and impactful comms strategies and media plans to deliver on Clients business objectives
- Help build stronger and even award-winning media interventions on the back of a structured comms planning approach and help lead the client into a more effective Media journey.
- Inspire the client with sound media knowledge and ideas and become their trusted media advisor
3. Product quality- Engage with and orchestrate the various specialist functions to deliver a superior quality of product to the client. Will have to monitor & drive all elements that lead to client incentives. Other measures of success include Industry awards and upstream engagement on projects
4. Agency climate and people management - Managing the staffing plan for the cluster, driving recruitment & retention of key talent. This would include identifying training needs for team members Create an atmosphere where cross-functional teams work together effectively. Handle and motivate your team to effectively deliver to client needs and company goals. Ensure timely team appraisals and clear development goals for team members; identify and follow through on appropriate training and career development for the team
What will you need:
- Post Graduate degree in Mass Communication/ Mass Media/Marketing from a reputed institution/university with min 12 to 15 years of work experience
- In-depth understanding of all communication channels and how they inter-relate.
- Strong analytical skills and can use data to solve problems.
- Understands strategic planning and broad implications on costs and timing.
- Demonstrated experience and success working with the decision-makers of organizations.
- Significant proven experience of working with multiple stakeholders, e.g. suppliers, advertising/marketing agencies, media owners.
- Shows depth of understanding of the industry, business, brands and consumers in senior-level client conversations.
- Understands business principles and good practice and perceives issues in both financial and commercial terms.
- Passionate – brings a genuine thrill and excitement to the role
- Agile – is able to be nimble in thought and action and overcome obstacles to achieve great things
- Collaborative – works well with others, and can align behind a shared purpose
- Entrepreneurial – is open to new ideas, and will challenge old ones.
- Diverse – is proud of the difference they can bring
Digital media advertising in India continues to grow at 30% in 2017, cementing India’s position as the second-largest internet market with close to 450 million users. Internet growth is driven by mobile data and connectivity, making it an exciting market for all integrated marketing services, fueled by the collective market investment in data and technology. With a booming economy, both traditional and new age industries are witnessing a boost in consumption, making India a high potential advertising market. With renewed foreign investments across several industries, India is an exciting market for any advertising professional.
GroupM APAC is committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our people are our strength so we respect and nurture their individual talent and potential