Essence | Senior Media Planning Manager
Essence, part of GroupM, is a global data and measurement-driven agency whose mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. Clients include Google, Flipkart, Nando's and the Financial Times. The agency is more than 1,600 people strong, manages over $3.6B in annualized media spend and deploys campaigns in 71 markets via its global offices throughout North America, EMEA and APAC.
Visit essenceglobal.com for more information and follow us on Twitter at @essenceglobal.
About Media Planning at Essence in Japan
We transform our clients’ business objectives and product strategy into insight-rooted media plans. We build and maintain strong relationships with media owners to ensure that our plans are the most innovative in the industry. We narrate the story of the campaign from planning recommendation through to post campaign analysis. We understand and feel confident to consult on the wider comms and marketing landscape, working effectively with specialist Essence Client Services, Strategy, Activation, and Analytics teams and partner agencies.
Essence was born in Japan in 2014 and is made up of 45 employees, based in the GroupM offices in Ebisu. Essence was named OMMA 2018 Agency of the year by MediaPost.
About the role
The Senior Manager, Media Planning will develop an expertise of the Google advertising stack and oversee a team of Media Planners, energising and inspiring them to deliver innovation and great thinking. The team will ensure media plans are aligned with the brand strategy to achieve campaign goals and objectives, oversee day-to-day management of the tactical media plan, and partner with the Activation team to ensure proper implementation and optimisation. A strong working knowledge of the Japan media landscape is required. This role reports into the Senior Director of Media Planning.
Some of the things we'd like you to do:
- Support Senior Director in resource management by managing tasks in the pods
- Interpret briefs and oversee and contribute to creation of final media plans that excite the client and deliver against their objectives across all digital inventory (search, display, social, mobile, video, OOH), ensuring absolute accuracy
- Responsible for expressing the rationale behind media investment decisions with support for expected outcomes
- Accountable for the development of Campaign Measurement Plans and post campaign analysis in partnership with Analytics - producing insightful analysis, demonstrating the effectiveness of our planning
- Develop case studies throughout the course of the year to be leveraged for new business and award submissions as well as internal training/onboarding
- Host client 1-1 meetings and sync-ups and and lead client presentations for plan recommendations, QBRs, learning agendas, platform evaluations, and post campaign analysis
- Continually strive for improvement and innovation by sourcing and developing new partnerships with media partners and developing POVs
- Deliver quarterly, semi-annual, or annual updates on work quality to help improve workstreams
- Drive how syndicated and first party data is used within the campaign lifecycle
- Support global alignment and collaboration at the Client Pod level
- Ensure successful onboarding of new Essentials by creating onboarding plans
- Manage, motivate, and develop 3-5 direct reports
A bit about yourself:
- At least 4-6 years’ experience in the Digital Media or Advertising field
- Solid understanding of media concepts/terms, creative and budget requirements
- Solid grasp of the Japan marketing landscape, especially a deep knowledge of digital media
- Ability to translate business and marketing KPIs to appropriate media KPIs for brand and DR initiatives
- Experience with Media Research Tools (Comscore, GWI, TGI, YouGov) preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to think on your feet
- Strong work ethic – highly organized, diligent, attentive to detail, and capable of multi-tasking
- Proven problem solving skills - ability to think outside of the box
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in a team environment
- Strong analytical skills - ability to analyze raw data, identify true insight and develop actionable recommendations. A natural affinity with numbers is a must.
- A passion to help and develop people – making yourself readily available to answer questions and offer support, and the ability to motivate people to succeed
- Bilingual proficiency in Japanese and English required
What you can expect from Essence
Essence’s mission is to make advertising more valuable to the world. We do this by employing the world’s very best talent to solve some of the toughest challenges of today’s digital marketing landscape. It’s important that we hire people whose values reflect those of our own: genuine, results-focused, daring and insightful. As an Essence employee, we promise you a workplace that invests in your career, cares for you and is fun and engaging. We believe these factors create a workplace where you can be yourself and do amazing work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or marital status.