Mindshare | Associate Director
Overview of job
Mindshare is an agency of GroupM, the world’s largest media investment company and are a part of WPP. In fact, we are responsible for one in every three ads you see globally. We are currently looking for an Associate Director to join us. In this role, you will be responsible for the day to day leadership of our global clients.
At GroupM APAC, our people are our strength, which is why fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion is important to us.
Reporting of the role
This role reports to the Group Account Director
3 best things about the job:
1. A fun and dynamic environment that combines the best of being entrepreneurial whilst at the same time being part of the largest media company in the world
2. Good exposure to a variety of client portfolios, which will be valuable for your career portfolio
3. The opportunity to be part of the driving force for the group’s continuous improvement and growth as a media professional
In this role, your goals will be:
In three months:
- Grasped the client portfolio operationally and ensure that day-to-day client servicing needs are met
- Demonstrated to direct reports (Managers, Planners, Senior Buyers) the capability and know-how to guide them and to add value to what they do on a day-to-day basis
In six months:
- Fostered strong client relationships across the client portfolio for self and team and already have a strong understanding of the client’s key business requirements
- Demonstrated the ability to guide and coach team, helping them improve their strategic thinking skills and capabilities as well as their digital, data and content knowledge
In 12 months:
- Demonstrated the ability to develop and diversify clients and translate them into commercial opportunities
- Successfully sold in an out-of-scope project and/or participated in a winning new business pitch
Responsibilities of the role:
Client leadership and management
- Foster strong client relationships and develop strong understanding of the client’s business.
- Proactively build relationship with marketing clients and position self as trusted advisor to them
- Provide strategic input to team and lead the delivery of strategic and innovative solutions to clients.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of media and market trends and opportunities and apply them to the client’s business. Develop and deliver strategic initiatives on key clients.
- Foster strong relationships with working partners, both internal and external, to deliver collaborative and integrated solutions to clients.
- Ensure that the delivery of work across all functions is to standards.
- Lead in contract negotiations, competitive and media market reviews, cost savings exercises, client appraisals of the agency and client business review sessions.
Team leadership and management
- Lead and motivate team to effectively deliver to client needs, team and company goals.
- Ensure timely team appraisals and clear development goals for team members; identify and follow through on appropriate training and career development for team members.
- Guide and coach the team to improve their skillsets and capabilities.
Business and commercial support
- Support GAD in managing key client revenue and profitability versus team costs – QRF & BUD planning and implementation.
- Lead client planning encompassing client business reviews and development strategies to support overall business plans.
- Support in new business development by leading and/or supporting new business pitches.
- Support the agency’s competitiveness and visibility in the market through attendance of industry functions, creating portfolio publicity and contributing to award entries.
What you will need:
- More than 6 years’ experience as the senior contact on key accounts that the main services focus on media plans and key tactics.
- Sound knowledge of the digital landscape and able to consult clients on digital planning
- Broad background, exposure to and experience in the entire research, planning and implementation process. Excellent grasp of communications strategy with a full understanding of how media and digital works and key advertising principles.
- Good organizational skills in handling a number of projects at the same time, being able to set priorities, keep to deadlines, work effectively under time pressure.
- A sound understanding of trading issues and how this impacts on media strategies.
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills as well as strong selling skills. Japanese business level required.
- Appreciation and ability to interpret numbers and data.
- A good rapport with colleagues across all divisions, clients, other agencies and media owners.
- Expertise in all relevant industry software and systems
More about Mindshare
We were born in Asia in 1997, a start up with a desire to change the media world. Now we are a global agency with more than 7,000 employees in 116 offices across 86 countries, operating as one team - #teammindshare. We believe that in today’s world, everything begins and ends in media. We aim to be our clients’ lead business partner, to grow their business, and drive profitability through adaptive and inventive marketing. We do this through speed, teamwork and provocation and by operating as a network of networks rather than a rigid hierarchy. We create new things and have fun doing it. Whenever and wherever you join us, you open a door to opportunities in any and of all aspects of media, technology and innovation. We will support you, recognize you and reward you, making Mindshare the place where you do the best work of your career.
Mindshare APAC has won 500 awards in the last year alone, including “Agency Network of the Year 2017” by both the MMA SMARTIES™ and Campaign Asia for the fifth and third consecutive year, respectively. Mindshare is part of GroupM, the media investment management arm of WPP, the world’s leading communications services group. To learn more about Mindshare and our philosophy of Original Thinking, visit us at www.mindshareworld.com and follow us on Twitter @mindshare and facebook.com/mindshareapac and linkedin.com/company/mindshare.
GroupM Japan is a part of the GroupM that leads and shapes media markets by delivering performance enhancing media products and services, powered by data and technology. Our global network agencies and businesses enable our people to work collaboratively across borders with the best in class, providing them the opportunity to accelerate their progress and development. We are not limited by teams or geographies; our scale and diverse range of clients lets us be more adventurous with our business and talent. We give our talent the space, support and tools to innovate and grow.