Assistant Vice President, Financial Reporting
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
The Finance Department is currently seeking an Assistant Vice President of Financial Reporting (“AVP”) with strong accounting, problem-solving, and communication skills for our Zionsville, IN location. The AVP is responsible for all financial reporting and regulatory reporting functions on behalf of multiple legal entities within Group 1001’s Life and Annuity business unit.
The position is a hands-on ‘performing leadership’ role and, in addition to overseeing the work of others, will often be called upon to perform various tasks directly related to financial accounting and reporting to support the business unit.
The position presents an opportunity to join a very collaborative team in a fast-paced and dynamic multi-company environment which will allow you to learn and grow your knowledge of accounting concepts and practices.
- Ensures accurate and timely preparation and dissemination of financial reports including, but not limited to statutory financial statements, consolidated core earnings reports and the preparation of various reports as required by senior management, regulatory departments, and rating agencies
- Develops strategies as related to reporting practices, applying financial principles, and maintaining the integrity of financial data. Establishes, maintains, and monitors internal controls related to all reporting and accounting functions in accordance with company policies and practices and standard accounting practices
- Oversees the monthly and quarterly close process with a willingness and ability to identify and introduce process improvement to streamline processes
- Performs technical accounting research and drafts memorandum for new or complex transactions and accounting pronouncements
- Leads and develops a team of accounting professionals to meet or exceed department goals and objectives. Involved in the interviewing, hiring, and training of new employees, evaluates performance and makes decisions regarding employment status. Coaches and motivates staff to continuously provide excellent service to internal and external customers
- Take a leading role in the various audits of the company records, collaborating with external auditors, internal auditors, various departments of insurance personnel, and other agents
- Work across departments, including by not limited to the investment, actuarial and tax departments, to refine processes, as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance
- CPA required
- 7+ years of accounting and financial reporting experience, including experience preparing and compiling statutory financial statements for multiple entities
- Public accounting experience a plus
- Experience with Oracle a plus
- Experience with statutory reporting software (WINGS, eFreedom) a plus
- Excellent oral, written, listening, and presentation skills and ability to clearly articulate complex information to others
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify and solve problems and issues of all types
- Ability to establish positive relationships and work effectively with all departments and affiliates to ensure integration of strategic goals and principles