Model Development Actuary, Associate Director/Director
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
Group 1001 is a consumer-centric financial services firm, operating a family of insurance companies in the life and annuity, property and casualty, and specialty insurance verticals. Group 1001 combines deep industry expertise and an entrepreneurial, innovation-driven culture to meet the evolving needs of consumers. G1001 Innovations is a newly formed platform within Group1001, which focuses on investing in emerging asset classes and companies.
Group 1001, and its affiliated companies, is strongly committed to providing a supportive work environment where employee differences are valued. Diversity is an essential ingredient in making Group 1001 a welcoming place to work and is fundamental in building a high-performance team. Diversity embodies all the differences that make us unique individuals. All employees share the responsibility for maintaining a workplace culture of dignity, respect, understanding and appreciation of individual and group differences.
This position will be responsible for building and maintaining the MG-ALFA models and other analytical tools used for Cash Flow Testing projections, reserving, and pricing new annuities and life insurance products. This individual will be an integral part of the model development team and have opportunities to participate in researching, renovating, designing, automating, and implementing new modeling methods and techniques.
This position reports to the Vice President – Model Development.
- Design, test, and review MG-ALFA model enhancements to support new product features, new or updated product assumptions, or other requirements of the business on a timely basis
- Continually assess model functionality vs. business requirements and implement required improvements with minimal business interruption
- Perform documentation and other governance functions of actuarial modeling processes
- Evaluate and integrate new model versions, new modeling techniques, and new modeling strategies provided by the vendor or similar parties
- Support model production functions, as required by the enterprise
- Model new product initiatives and potential acquisitions to evaluate suitability for the enterprise
- Perform peer reviews of models built
- Mentor and/or directly manage a junior level model development employee as assigned
- Collaborate with individuals throughout the organization, with an emphasis on model efficiency and effectiveness.
- Participate in special projects as needed.
- ASA with experience in annuities (FA, FIA, VA) and life products modeling, FSA preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, finance, economics, math, physics, engineering, or related field
- Direct, hands-on experience with an actuarial modeling platform such as MG-ALFA, Axis, etc.
- Strong financial modeling/valuation and analytical skills
- Extensive knowledge of annuity and life products, including key projection components and reserving
- Familiarity with regulatory aspects of annuities and life products
- Strong time and project management skills
- Team player with strong resilience and adaptability skills
- Effective communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel (including VBA) and database tools (Microsoft Access, SQL, etc.)
- Willingness to work slices of unusual hours to expedite modeling tasks occasionally
Group 1001 offers a strong benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription Drug Coverage, 401k Plan, Life Insurance, and Flexible Time Off among other benefit plan options.