Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
Group 1001 is a financial service enterprise on a mission to set a new standard in the insurance industry by making insurance more useful and intuitive for everyone. Group 1001’s insurance brands include Delaware Life, Gainbridge, Clear Spring Health, Clear Spring Insurance, and Clear Spring Life. Group 1001’s culture is execution oriented and places a high value on collaboration, a control mindset, and an entrepreneurial spirit. These guiding principles extend to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees. Group 1001 and its companies are strongly committed to providing a supportive work environment where employee differences are valued. Group 1001 believes accountability, corporate responsibility, diversity, inclusion, excellence, innovation, integrity, and leadership are behaviors and characteristics that allow us to achieve a winning culture.
Diversity is an essential ingredient in making Group 1001 a welcoming place to work and is fundamental in building a high-performance team. Diversity embodies all the differences that make us unique individuals. All employees share the responsibility for maintaining a workplace culture of dignity, respect, understanding and appreciation of individual and group differences.
Group 1001’s growing Life & Annuity business unit is seeking a corporate attorney to join our Law and Compliance Department, predominantly supporting the corporate secretarial, insurance regulatory, and corporate transactions practice areas. The preferred location for this position is Group 1001’s office in Waltham, MA.
This role will be primarily responsible for providing corporate governance and insurance regulatory advice and counseling, including support for board meetings, insurance holding company act filings, regulatory examinations, and reinsurance transactions, as well as support for other corporate and investment transactions.
- Support the day-to-day operations and functions of the corporate secretarial function for multiple business units, including, the coordination, preparation, and review of materials for all board and committee meetings (e.g., drafting of minutes, written consents, meeting agendas, resolutions, and related supporting documentation), along with maintaining key corporate documents and records
- Assist with periodic and annual insurance regulatory filings and company licensing
- Assist with the preparation and filing of various UCAA (Uniform Certificate of Authority) applications
- Provide advice and support for reinsurance, corporate, and investment transactions, including new company formations, mergers and acquisitions, and vendor contracting
- Assist with financial, market conduct, and other regulatory examinations
- Assist with monitoring and implementation of new state insurance laws and regulations
- Conduct legal research and analysis
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- Admission to the bar of at least one state and eligibility for in-house counsel registration in Indiana or Massachusetts (as applicable) if not already admitted
- At least 3+ years of relevant legal experience with a large law firm or as in-house counsel
- Knowledge of insurance regulations, particularly insurance holding company act, is helpful but not required
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written, and oral communications skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Strong project and time-management skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize work requirements