Director Financial Reporting
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
The Finance Department is currently seeking a Director of Financial Reporting (“Director”) with strong accounting, problem-solving, and communication skills for our Zionsville, IN location. The Director participates in a variety of financial accounting, financial reporting, financial analysis, and regulatory reporting functions that include reviewing financial statements, regulatory communications and filings, and other ad hoc reports.
The position is a working managerial role with responsibilities that must be completed directly by the Director of Financial Reporting in addition to the review of work performed by more junior staff. This role supports the Life & Annuity financial reporting function.
The position presents an opportunity to join a very collaborative team in a fast-paced and dynamic multi-company environment which will allow you to learn and grow your knowledge of accounting concepts and practices.
- Reviews various financial reports including statutory financial statements, statutory quarterly and annual statements, analytic reports, and ad hoc reports, as requested
- Reviews and approves journal entries and account reconciliations
- Facilitates the monthly and quarterly close process across multiple departments
- Assists with various audits of the company records, collaborating closely with external auditors, internal auditors, various departments of insurance personnel, and other agents
- Performs technical accounting research and drafts memorandum for new or complex transactions and accounting pronouncements
- Liaisons across departments, including by not limited to the investment, actuarial and tax departments, to facilitate the monthly financial statement close process
- Maintains internal control processes for quarterly MAR compliance and documentation
- Contributes to determining accounting consequences for proposed and/or completed actions
- Assists in the implementation of new accounting guidance and regulatory requirements, as requested
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance
- CPA preferred
- 6+ years of experience in accounting and financial reporting, including experience with statutory accounting and the life insurance industry
- Public accounting experience a plus
- Experience with Oracle a plus
- Experience with statutory reporting software (WINGS, eFreedom) a plus
- Excellent oral, written, listening, and presentation skills and ability to clearly articulate complex information to others
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify and solve problems and issues of all types
- Ability to establish positive relationships and work effectively with all departments and affiliates to ensure integration of strategic goals and principles
- Demonstrated ability to utilize technology to work more efficiently, more productively and as an auditing tool