Accounting Associate/Tax Accounting Associate
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
Group 1001, and its affiliated companies, is strongly committed to providing a supportive work environment where employee differences are valued. Diversity is an essential ingredient in making Group 1001 a welcoming place to work and is fundamental in building a high-performance team. Diversity embodies all the differences that make us unique individuals. All employees share the responsibility for maintaining a workplace culture of dignity, respect, understanding and appreciation of individual and group differences.
The Accounting Associate/Tax Accounting Associate is responsible for preparing and reporting tax filings at the state and local level, including the preparation of insurance premium taxes; sales and use taxes; property taxes; as well as federal excise taxes as needed. It also includes communicating with various state agencies regarding the collection, payment and reporting of these taxes. This position may also research and document the tax requirements and processes, assuring compliance with state and local tax laws.
- Prepares state and local tax returns reports and payments, using appropriate tax software.
- Works with other tax department staff to ensure accuracy of filings and compliance with multiple timetables and daily deadlines for multiple companies under management.
- Supports and assists with the roll up of premium tax and/or other state and local data for broader reports and filings.
- Responds to taxing authorities for inquiries related to tax filings, preparations, and supporting documentation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Equivalent work experience preferred.
- 2+ years’ relative work experience preferred, working with gross receipts type tax returns (or other similar regulatory filings), financial reports and basic accounting principles.
- Excellent oral, written, listening and presentation skills including the ability to clearly articulate complex information to others; must be able to communicate well with other departments, as well as external clients and customers.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and issues of all types.
- Ability to work effectively with all departments and affiliates to ensure integration of strategic goals and principles.
- Knowledge of basic office and PC applications, including MS Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize technology to work more efficiently and productively.