Director, Internal Controls
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
Director, Internal Controls
Location – Indianapolis, IN OR Waltham, MA
Reporting to the Chief Internal Auditor, this person will perform an array of concurrent financial and operational internal audits to evaluate internal controls and make recommendations regarding control deficiencies. In addition, this position will be developing a controls governance structure including responsibility for identifying and documenting key processes and controls and establishing an internal monitoring function to audit the company’s compliance with such internal controls. This position will focus on our property and casualty entities.
- Lead Internal Audit’s annual risk assessment and planning process for the property and casualty entities to develop the audit plan and ensure the plan is responsive to and aligned with the risk profile of the organization.
- Participate in the development of audit programs, and detailed internal audit reports and presentation materials.
- Ensure that audit work is performed in accordance with established professional standards and remain abreast of emerging trends and best practices that can be incorporated into the function.
- Oversee/execute individual audits defined in the audit plan ensuring the highest level of service quality and client satisfaction.
- Issue all Internal Audit reports ensuring the reports are clear, concise, identify root causes with practical solutions, and ultimately provide value to management.
- Proactively inform Chief Internal Auditor and senior management of significant risks or exposures related to internal controls, compliance, and/or governance requiring prompt attention.
- Coordinate with external auditor to optimize reliance while achieving an efficient and economical coordination of effort.
- Assist with the detailed testing of internal controls and ensure adherence with professional audit standards and regulatory requirements.
- Document and evaluate internal controls, propose enhancements to controls and investigates the root cause of internal control weaknesses.
- Assist with monitoring and administration of control documentation.
- Coordinate with Third Party Providers to ensure controls are designed and operating effectively.
- Travel 20% of the year to vendor locations.
- A qualified professional with thorough knowledge of audit principles and experience evaluating internal controls, including knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards
- BS in finance or accounting with 10 - 15 years of relevant experience; 5 years in a Management role is a requirement.
- Proven ability to prepare audit reports and prepare/review work-papers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and skillful at fostering collaborative relationships across all lines of management.
- Strong decision-making, problem solving and analytical capabilities.
- Strong planning and time management skills
- Proficient in basic PC applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, VISIO)
- Property and Casualty (Workers Compensation) experience required, and Heath Insurance (Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans) experience, preferred.
- CPA with public experience strongly desired.
- CIA and/or MBA a plus.
- Experience with Model Audit Rule and/or Sarbanes Oxley is required.