Finance & Accounting Intern
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
Group 1001, and its affiliated companies, is strongly committed to providing a supportive work environment where employee differences are valued. Diversity is an essential ingredient in making Group 1001 a welcoming place to work and is fundamental in building a high-performance team. Diversity embodies all the differences that make us unique individuals. All employees share the responsibility for maintaining a workplace culture of dignity, respect, understanding and appreciation of individual and group differences.
As a Finance & Accounting Intern, you will gain an overview of the GAAP accounting operations of a multi-company organization and the role the Agency and Services teams play in supporting Group 1001. You will work with various non-insurance subsidiaries including Real Estate, Technology, Servicing, Agency/Distribution, Payroll, as well as related intercompany accounting. In addition, you will gain experience with commonly used systems including Oracle, Power BI, Kyriba, Workday, EAS, and others.
In addition to working with the Services and Agency teams, you will have the opportunity to interact and periodically assist other financial leaders within the company, overseeing areas such as Insurance Financial Reporting, Investments, Accounting Operations, Tax, Treasury, and FP&A.
This meaningful experience will provide you with a complete background for a successful accounting career in a wide variety of industries.
- You will learn and participate in the GAAP Accounting process through:
- Month End Close (Analyzing financial transactions, recording entries, consolidations, reconciliations)
- Reporting (Creating financial statements, presenting results, and ad-hoc financial analysis)
- Project work (Process Improvement, development of control documentation, systems migration, etc)
- Audit support (Internal and External)
- Actively communicate and collaborate with a variety of internal and external business partners and stakeholders
- Spring Semester 2023
- Current student working towards a degree in Finance or Accounting
- Ability to communicate and work in collaboration in a professional and timely manner
- Detail-oriented, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Ownership and accountability, willingness to see projects through to completion
- Naturally curious and not afraid to ask questions