Assistant Vice President & Counsel
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
JOB TITLE: Assistant Vice President & Counsel
SUPERVISOR: Deputy General Counsel
LOCATION: Initially remote with potential future on site presence in Stamford, CT
RVI Group is a Stamford based residual value insurance company serving both lessors and investors in the passenger vehicle, commercial equipment and commercial real estate markets. Residual value insurance protects against a decline in market value of tangible assets and is a critical tool for asset risk and lease accounting. The flexibility of residual value insurance allows us to tailor coverage to meet the objectives of each unique client.
We are seeking in-house counsel to handle a wide variety of property and casualty insurance industry corporate and compliance legal matters. Responsibilities will include the coordination of insurance regulatory matters and the drafting of insurance policies, governance documents, and a broad range of insurance and non-insurance commercial agreements. This individual will provide expert advice on routine and complex legal matters with a focus on the long-term business and strategic consequences of possible outcomes as well as understanding the internal business partner's needs. This attorney will regularly attend business partner meetings to better understand business processes and effectively work in a team environment, closely collaborate and provide team support with peers across legal, business, finance and other control functions.
Qualifications shall include the ability to simultaneously manage and prioritize projects with multiple teams. This individual must be strategic, business focused, financially savvy and collaborative with excellent attention to detail. This attorney must act with the highest level of integrity and business and personal ethical standards in all aspects of job performance.
- Provide advice and counsel on legal issues impacting the company’s insurance operations and service businesses
- Draft, negotiate and interpret a wide range of business contracts, insurance policies, non-disclosure, service and corporate agreements
- Partner with business units to ensure that the timely and efficient execution of a broad range of corporate and insurance legal tasks are met
- Research, identify and mitigate legal and regulatory risks across the organization
- Participate in corporate transactions including data room management and coordination of responses with outside counsel and internal resources
- Monitor property and casualty insurance industry developments
- Undertake special projects dependent upon knowledge and experience
- Apply consistent legal terms and protections companywide with an emphasis on data, technology and vendor related contracts
Education and Experience:
- Law degree from a nationally accredited law school
- Five to eight years of legal experience in the property and casualty insurance industry with a corporate legal department or a nationally recognized law firm
- Prior work experience relevant to ensure success as an integral team member of a small in-house legal department at a sophisticated and successful specialty insurance company
- Knowledge of residual value insurance, reinsurance, commercial insurance law, and managing general agent and captive insurance structures is a plus
- Excellent analytical skills and sound judgment, with a business focused approach
- Superior written and verbal communication with strong presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Strong work ethic, intellectual capability and drive to achieve
- Excellent relationship building, partnership and collaboration skills
- Well-developed discipline in working efficiently, meeting deadlines and achieving results, both independently and collaboratively
- Strong strategic capability including development and articulation of the rationale for complex business transactions
- Impeccable ethics and integrity
RVI Group offers competitive compensation, an excellent benefits package, a 401(k) Plan, and education assistance. For more information on the Company, please visit our website at www.rvigroup.com. The RVI Group is an equal opportunity employer. Background checks are required.