Underwriter (Middle Market Programs)
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
Clear Spring Insurance
Clear Spring Property and Casualty is a leading provider of property and casualty insurance. Our future-forward strategy is rooted in deep industry knowledge and a mastery of emerging technologies. Clear Spring Property and Casualty Company is a subsidiary of Delaware Life Insurance Company and its parent company, Group1001. Our relationship with these organizations has yielded an innovative technology platform that provides smarter risk management solutions for property and casualty insurance brokers. Clear Spring is dedicated to Group1001's mission: making insurance more useful, intuitive and accessible for everyone. We’re confident in our forward-thinking products, and that you’ll love partnering with us.
Group1001 is on a mission to empower consumers. Our family of companies share a common goal: giving people more control over their money, making it easier for them to do businesses with us, and creating more opportunities for them to see value every day.
Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture.
One of the goals for Group1001 is to foster a great culture. Group1001 will continue to build a culture that emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets, employees.
The Middle Market Programs Underwriter will be responsible for the assessment of risk for new and renewal business, creating and maintaining a competitive, profitable pricing strategy and ensuring the sustainable growth of assigned programs administered by Managing General Agents (MGAs). This includes working with Company management and the MGA in creating effective pricing strategies that address market specific conditions, competitor evaluation and fosters positive agency relationships. Performs all underwriting designed as “referral to company” and is a liaison between assigned MGUs and the Company. The MMU provides recommendations regarding program eligibility and pricing to ensure program profitability and monitors MGA activity accordingly.
- Develop, cultivate, and monitor business relationships with the MGAs to meet the Company’s continued growth profitability goals.
- Approve or decline referral business submitted by MGA in accordance with the Company’s established underwriting guidelines and pricing standards.
- Effectively communicate current events as they relate to the territory, the marketplace and the industry with leadership and team Members.
- Documents decisions in accordance with regulatory standards and company policy.
- Acts with a sense of urgency on all inquiries/requests.
- Provides outstanding customer service by building effective working relationships with assigned MGA personnel and internal company staff.
- Completes file audits within company guidelines to ensure compliance to underwriting and pricing standards where agents are delegated underwriting authority.
- 3-5 years’ underwriting experience in commercial property & casualty lines.
- Strong analytical skills in evaluating financial risk.
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the insurance industry.
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships with agents and internal staff.
- Strong negotiation skills based on risk evaluation, market conditions, and other variables.
- Bachelor's Degree required. AU, CIC, ARM, or CPCU designation preferred.