Group1001 is a consumer-centric, technology-driven family of insurance companies on a mission to deliver outstanding value and operational performance by combining financial strength and stability with deep insurance expertise and a can-do culture. Group1001’s culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, communication, core business focus, risk management, and striving for outcomes. This goal extends to how we hire and onboard our most valuable assets – our employees.
Clear Spring Property and Casualty Company
Clear Spring Property and Casualty is a leading provider of property and casualty insurance. Our future-forward strategy is rooted in deep industry knowledge and a mastery of emerging technologies. Clear Spring Property and Casualty Company is a subsidiary of Delaware Life Insurance Company and its parent company, Group1001. Our relationship with these organizations has yielded an innovative technology platform that provides smarter risk management solutions for property and casualty insurance brokers. Clear Spring is dedicated to Group1001's mission: making insurance more useful, intuitive and accessible for everyone. We’re confident in our forward-thinking products, and that you’ll love partnering with us.
The Controller will be responsible for all MGA accounting activities and the management of staff. Additional assistance with the Controller of the Direct Programs will be required. This includes budgeting, payables and receivables, statutory account maintenance and reporting, premium tax accounting and payment, annual financial statements and audits, accounting and financial system development recommendations, and other financial activities. Weekends and extended hours required for annual and quarterly filings.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage accounting and general ledger activities:
- Maintain financial records in accordance with the statements on statutory accounting principles (SSAP).
- Assess new standards for relevance and impact on the company.
- Supervise accounts payable and receivable; fixed assets; and all general ledger activities.
- Coordinate with independent actuarial resources in determining sufficiency of financial reserves.
- Work closely with IT in vetting processes and systems required for successful enterprise, financial management implementation and ongoing maintenance.
- Complete reporting and compliance activities:
- Prepare financial statements in accordance with statutory accounting principles.
- Prepare all regulatory reporting requirements.
- Implement and maintain internal control structure commensurate with size of organization and resources available.
- Prepare premium tax returns and supervise filings.
- Understand and implement ongoing reporting and compliance activities.
- Oversee budgets and budget reporting:
- Implement annual budgeting process.
- Understand and manage cash flow needs of the Company.
- Coordinate all audit activities:
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Company’s external auditors and regulatory agencies.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, motivate, manage and lead staff to perform successfully.
- Continually assess the effectiveness of departmental functioning, including the people, processes and technologies needed to achieve departmental and corporate goals and objectives. Identify problems and opportunities for improvement and generate creative solutions that improve qualitative and quantitative performance.
- Assure staff accountability through routine observation, reporting and performance measurement, and through timely, thorough preparation of performance appraisals for assigned staff.
Five plus years in insurance accounting.
- MGA accounting
- Excel and strong computer skills
- Knowledge of Fusion
- Knowledge of Accounting under SSAP No. 62R
- Knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of the insurance industry.
- Proven ability to leverage peer relationships within an organization.
- Ability to direct and manage a small accounting group.
- Must perform duties under deadline pressure with multi‐tasking capabilities.
- Perform effectively when changes in priorities, direction and resources occur.
- Possess strong communication skills ‐ verbal and written.
- Strong presentation skills and public speaking skills.
- Proven skills in using financial management programs, spreadsheets, word processing and presentation software.
Bachelor's degree with CPA designation.