Senior Corporate Accountant
Senior Corporate Accountant
FLSA status: Exempt
Hours: Full-Time Regular
Department: Finance & Accounting
Location: Corporate Office – Portland, Oregon
The Green Cities Company is seeking a Senior Corporate Accountant to independently execute day-to-day accounting tasks. Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Senior Corporate Accountant will assist in overseeing corporate accounting functions and activities by ensuring timely and accurate completion of all GL postings, account reconciliations, and month-end close transactions to facilitate GAAP-based financial reporting and analysis. The Senior Corporate Accountant will also contribute to making the accounting team best-in-class by practicing continuous process improvement with business operations and financial reporting processes and procedures. As a key member of a small corporate accounting team, this role will require high self-motivation, strong attention to detail, and the ability to operate independently while executing key tasks.
In this role, you will be expected to:
- Prepare routine and non-routine journal entries for review and posting by Controller; review and post entries and batches prepared by others.
- Facilitate a timely, accurate, and efficient monthly close process including monthly reconciliations, closing entries and financial models. Perform analysis to determine trends, estimates, and significant changes, as assigned.
- Complete periodic management and regulatory reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, regulatory requirements, and Bank policies for review by Controller.
- Develop and maintain documentation of accounting procedures, analyze and optimize workflow of the department, and ensure proper controls are in place to safeguard assets and manage risk for the company.
- Ensure timely responses to external tax preparers to minimize professional fees.
- Provide accounting support to internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Assist with GL, A/R, and Payroll postings.
- Assist as needed during the transition to a new accounting system.
- Contribute with other finance team initiatives as necessary: cash flow forecasting, ad hoc reporting & forecasting, implementation of new tools, etc.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The right candidate will possess the following:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting or related field.
- Minimum 4 years of accounting experience, with two (2) years of public accounting experience preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of U.S. GAAP guidelines.
- Experience with consolidations and financial reporting.
- Ability to follow up on, and following through with, multiple priorities and tasks, meeting tight deadlines and maintaining composure under pressure; a self-start who can proactively identify areas of responsibility.
- The technical accounting knowledge, analytical skills, and understanding of financial systems necessary to develop innovative solutions and process improvements.
- Ability to query data from accounting software and analyze using Excel.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, allowing for clear and succinct communication in a variety of settings (phone, in-person and email) both internally and externally.
- Dedication to meeting the expectations, needs and requirements of internal and external customers and stakeholders.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office products, with advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
- Understanding of accounting for and consolidation of multiple partnership entities.
- Ability to successfully interface and build strong cross-functional relationships with all levels of internal and external partners and team members, finding common ground and solving problems for the good of all.
- Excellent analytical skills with great attention to detail.
- CPA certification or CPA candidate preferred.
- Experience with the real estate investment industry and experience with construction accounting software, ideally Sage 300 Construction & Real Estate and Yardi Voyager.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
This role will permanently be onsite at our corporate office in Portland, Oregon. Temporarily, the role will be majority remote while COVID-19 restrictions are in place; However, some tasks can only be performed in-office, and out-of-area candidates will be expected to relocate to Portland.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To request accommodations during the application and hiring process, please e-mail [email protected].
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Green Cities Company strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, national origin, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, military status, or marital or family status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
About The Green Cities Company
The Green Cities Company (formerly Gerding Edlen) has driven innovation in real estate investment management for over a decade through the confluence of environmental, social and investment value. With this forward-thinking strategy and fully integrated in-house expertise, the firm acquires, manages, and develops office, mixed-use and multi-family assets. Deep experience in select U.S. markets, combined with meaningful attention to ESG considerations, positions The Green Cities Company for enhanced tenant retention and superior operations. This differentiated approach, along with disciplined risk management, encompasses the environmental footprint of an asset, the diversity and inclusivity of its community, and the wellbeing and fulfillment of its occupants and neighbors. Each member of the team is dedicated to a resilient investment portfolio that yields results to the firm’s investors, employees, tenants, and communities. Green Investing, Redefined.