Customs Compliance Specialist
The Customs Compliance Specialist provides support and guidance to the GPC Global Sourcing Group and GPC business units to ensure customs compliance in the company’s international trade activities. This position also provides extensive regulatory compliance direction and advice to the business units, and acts as subject matter expert for all customs and trade issues involving regulatory oversight.
These activities include Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) classification, identifying applicable government agency requirements, review and use of proper valuation methods, country of origin analysis, free trade agreement qualification and solicitation, application of customs special programs, and assisting with export regulatory requirements.
This position is the primary liaison between GPC and Customs agencies, and ensures all import and export transactions comply with the laws and regulations in the US and Canada.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Properly classify goods being imported or exported, using product descriptions and technical data. Maintain Binding Rulings and audit trails to support the classification assigned.
- Respond to classification inquiries from GPC business units, customs brokers, and government agencies. Research and provide necessary information for customs entry.
- Provide direction related to ADD/CVD, rules of origin, product marking, and qualification of Free Trade Agreements.
- Maintain master tariff classification databases to ensure all necessary data and data tables are up to date and accurate.
- Manage and respond to inquiries and notices of action from US Customs and Border Protection, Canadian Border Services Agency, and other Customs agencies.
- Maintain export and import compliance plans and assist with C-TPAT program.
- Monitor ACH and PMS duty statements and ensure accurate and timely processing.
- Participate in development and updating of internal manuals related to import and export requirements.
- Conduct entry audits and support the monitoring and retention of records and documentation for import and export shipments.
- Monitor developments and changes in international trade, including customs rulings, laws, regulations, and trade agreements. Communicate this information internally as necessary to support global sourcing efforts.
- Undergraduate degree desired with a preference for International Trade, Transportation Management, or Logistics.
- Licensed Customs Broker preferred.
Qualifications & Experience
- Extensive background in and knowledge of US & CA Customs and government regulations, government agencies, and special trade programs.
- 2-5 years of experience in US Customs & Regulatory Compliance activities.
- Direct experience with US Customs Automated Commercial Environment (ACE) portal.
- Experience with General Rules of Interpretation, Customs Rulings Online Search System, US and CA Harmonized Tariff Schedules, Code of Federal Regulations.
- Familiar with US Export Rules and Regulations (ECCN, ITAR, EAR, Restricted Party Screening).
- Experience with Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT), Importer Self-Assessment (ISA), and Focused Assessment Audits is highly desired.
- Excellent project management skills and detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Comfortable working with and across all levels of the organization.
- Self-motivated, with ability to set and achieve goals, and ability to prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Basic knowledge and functional understanding of Tradestone / Bamboo Rose Software is preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications required. Database and spreadsheet experience preferred.
- This role does not require extensive travel, estimated travel is 5%.
- Extended trips up to 5 days could be required to meet demands of projects. Travel schedule will vary and is flexible based on project requirements.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.