Director, Merch Finance
We’re looking for a proven leader to join NAPA Auto Parts’ Merch Finance team as a lead finance partner and trusted advisor to the executive leadership team. In this high-impact role, the ideal candidate will partner with the senior leaders, providing them with strategic and operational insights, financial reporting, forecasting, planning, and decision support to help drive sustainable, profitable growth.
The broad scope of this role will provide the candidate with opportunities to build a high-performing team, and to lead a number of high-visibility projects that will transform the way NAPA evaluates its category profitability and margin growth.
Position Performance Measures:
Responsibilities: The following section contains the primary responsibilities for this position. Job holder is responsible for performing any other duties as assigned by management. List the significant activities that support that function, for instance manage the annual store audit process. Where possible use language that ties the job back to the company mission and vision.
- Providing financial leadership in company-wide planning, monthly/quarterly forecasting and assisting in the development of operational targets and budgets
- Spearheading activities to optimize and track category profitability; financial analytics and providing best-in-class sales and margin category reporting
- Developing actionable management reporting, dashboards, and KPIs, and overseeing monthly/quarterly variance analysis
- Driving operational excellence through value-add financial modelling and trend analysis, to help inform long-range planning
- Supporting category merchants as a strategic thought leader from a financial, cost-benefit and impact analysis perspective
- Owning compensation/bonus payouts, slopes, attainment and accruals for merchandising organization
- Building and managing a high-performing merch finance team; elevating top talent to help maximize their impact and reinforce their focus on performance, and professional development
- Develop actionable dashboards with pricing and commercial KPIs and forecast to:
- Support merchandising in category strategy
- Support sales on market intelligence, sales rep performance and coaching
- Identify drivers of margin erosion and compliance metrics
- Build out new forecasting and reporting templates and tools to assist category team with measuring product level profitability
- Develop end-to-end visibility into customer & supplier cost-to-serve, and associated reporting & tracking
- Build next generation of sales growth AI tools to support profitable growth:
- Develop Churn propensity models and cross sell/upsell tools to embed in sales process and whitespace identification tools
- Measure promotional effectiveness by analyzing financial data, customer decision trees, and competitive products. Makes recommendations based on data and measures effectiveness of results.
- Provides ad hoc financial reporting and other analyses as directed.
Experience, Education, and Abilities:
- Proven track record of driving significant impact in category profitability
- Deep expertise in financial modelling and strategic business planning
- A growth mindset, and a proven history of effective execution
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, ambiguous work environment and to navigate through change
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, business partnering expertise, and an excellent ability to mentor and teach
- Strong project management skills, working effectively with cross-functional teams
- Proven leader of teams - recruiting and developing new team members, driving performance, and prioritizing work effectively
- Self-starter with proactive drive and ambition to perform and drive change with minimal direction & coaching
- At least 7-9 years working in a financial analysis role, ideally in a complex data environment.
- College degree from an accredited institution (or other advanced degree in economics, mathematics, finance, marketing intelligence or business intelligence) or equivalent.
- High level of commercial and financial acumen experience required; CFA accepted
- Demonstrated and advanced proficiency with business intelligence tools; preferably excel and data visualization tools (Tableau, Power BI, Qlik, etc.)
- Advanced experience with database systems at an enterprise level
- Demonstrated and advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, such as database management, vlookups, and pivot tables.
- Demonstrated experience with data governance projects.
- Strong internal and external relation-building skills.
- Uncompromising integrity and intellectual honesty; possesses courage and conviction to speak their position.
- Demonstrated previous experience reporting to senior executives.
- Highly self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Work is performed in a typical office environment.
GPC conducts its business without regard to sex, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, military status, status as a veteran, or any other protected characteristic. GPC's policy is to recruit, hire, train, promote, assign, transfer and terminate employees based on their own ability, achievement, experience and conduct and other legitimate business reasons.