Maintenance Technician II
This position is located at our Apache/AgBelt location in Des Moines, Iowa. Position will perform a broad range of duties associated with general maintenance, repairs, troubleshooting, fabrication and design to equipment and the facility, in a safe and highly skilled manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Inspect, operate or test machinery or equipment to diagnose issues and determine how to correct them, checking prints, schematics and/or equipment manuals. Repair or replace defective equipment parts and reassemble equipment.
- Hydraulic and Electrical repairs to lacing machines, belt slitter, and other equipment as needed.
- Hydraulic repairs – understand schematics; troubleshoot solenoids, controls, valve disassembly and repair; and repair cylinders.
- Equipment repairs. Use mechanical knowledge to repair motors, fabricate parts for equipment and/or machinery, which could include welding, cutting, grinding, etc.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance and service on equipment/machinery, building systems and building structure, maintaining a detailed maintenance schedule to document repairs and service.
- Fabricating equipment, testing, and using that equipment to complete work orders for special belts or projects.
- Minor HVAC and plumbing repairs as needed.
- Operate hand and power tools, material handling equipment, drill presses, saws, and precision measuring instruments, electric testing devices, cutting torches and welding equipment.
- Acquire skills and be trained to operate belt slitters as a secondary role.
- Comply with safety regulations and procedures.
- Maintain clean, organized work areas.
- Attend work regularly and predictably and uphold Company values in all work aspects.
- Minor repairs and working knowledge of forklift operation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Possess a high school diploma/equivalency and 2 years of industrial maintenance training/courses and 2 years of machine maintenance experience or possess a high school diploma/equivalency and 5 years of machine maintenance experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Accurate welding skills including use of cutting torch, brazing, silver soldering, etc.
- Hydraulic skills including knowledge of hydraulic schematics, ability to read hydraulic prints, make repairs to a variety of hydraulic equipment and machinery, etc.
- Accurate electrical skills including knowledge of electrical schematics, ability to read electrical blueprints and repair a variety of electrical repairs on equipment, machinery and new installations including but not limited to: AC and DC control assemblies, panel design, debugging and programming PLC controls.
- Trace electrical wiring and draw schematics as required. Use and understanding of A-B PLC logic a plus but not required. Understand the proper use of thermocouples how to identify the different types.
- Ability to do mechanical work including ability to take apart machinery, make the repairs needed and reassemble the machinery.
- Knowledge and use of hand tools in the maintenance department including air tools, drills, dremels, etc.
- Troubleshooting abilities: electrical – including starters, DC controllers, etc.; pneumatic – including repair and replacement of valves, electric switches, etc.; hydraulic – including repair and replacement of valves, seals, etc.; mechanical – ability to tear down all equipment, find the problem, replace or repair broken part(s) and reassemble the machine and/or equipment; Ability to run air hose throughout plant by feeding lines through the plant, tapping into the main source of power, securing lines up above work areas and hanging down lines in the appropriate location and length.
- Additional needed abilities: read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blueprints and procedure manuals; use industrial math to operate equipment (e.g., use and convert decimals and fractions); willingness to ask questions, communicate openly with all levels of staff, and explain technical things in simple terms; give input on issues in a team atmosphere and support final team and management decisions; manage multiple tasks and priorities and easily adapt to changing situations. Forklift experience is beneficial.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work near moving mechanical parts, in heat during the summer, with low to moderate noise from equipment and low level exposure to airborne particles or fumes from equipment.
Must be able to lift heavy equipment and packages up 60 lbs. occasionally and less weight more frequently. Standing or walking most of the day. Occasionally required to bend, kneel, climb, and push and pull materials. Requires close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Frequently required to talk and hear; use hands with coordination and precision to reach; handle and move objects, tools, or controls; and use tools and equipment at regular to skillful speed and accuracy.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Apache Inc. reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.