Second Shift Production Supervisor
Apache, Inc. is a division of Motion Industries.
This position is accountable for flow and effectiveness of production operations to meet production objectives of the area/shift and comply with the plant’s policies. Communication and advancement of key performance indicators (e.g., safety, quality, on-time shipment, reduced waste) are important responsibilities in this position. This position if for 2nd Shift.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure production and customer satisfaction objectives are achieved by the production team (e. g., shipping product on time, surpassing customer-defined quality levels).
- Follow and communicate production schedules and adjust as needed to meet daily production requirements. Assign materials and schedule production as needed.
- Maintain a safe, organized, respectful, productive work environment that promotes teamwork.
- Regularly communicate standards and expectations, ensure understanding and hold the team accountable.
- Conduct area/shift start-up meeting to stretch and share prior day/month performance, any issues and upcoming opportunities.
- Update communications board with relevant information. Stay current on area metrics and trends driving them.
- Spend time with employees to observe, ask questions and coach to detect variations and improve quality and productivity measures. Reject unsatisfactory products. Put corrective actions in place.
- Identify training needs and conduct and/or delegate training on operating procedures and other work guidelines.
- Identify and address critical issues within the area of responsibility.
- Report progress and discuss needs (e.g., equipment, supplies, and labor) and issues with Operations management and/or Technical Services during meetings and as needed.
- Discuss work information for the oncoming shift including any issues for clear, thorough understanding.
- Utilize the ERP, warehouse management and scheduling systems proficiently and complete needed computer entries/paperwork.
- Advance continuous improvement projects by completing action items and reviewing effectiveness.
- Utilize lean manufacturing methods to eliminate waste.
- Create and/or improve department processes in conjunction with other areas. Facilitate change.
- Respond to emergencies as a trained First Responder.
- Perform shipping responsibilities and assist production in completing rush orders if necessary to help customers with equipment breakdowns.
- Professionally interact with different departments to promote customer satisfaction.
- Be actively engaged in managing performance and developing reports.
- Advance technical and leadership knowledge through formal and informal means and apply what is learned for improved operations.
- Attend work regularly and predictably and uphold Company values in all work aspects.
This positon directly supervises and maintains positive employee relations for area/shift employees in accordance with the Company's policies and applicable laws. Actively involved in candidate interviews and employee selection; team alignment to achieve Operations initiatives with feedback on results; work planning, assignment and/or direction; coaching for expected behavior and performance; training/ensuring effective training; growth/professional development opportunities; policy/procedure communication, guided interpretation and adherence; first round issue/conflict/complaint investigation and resolution/action; performance management including rewarding, coaching, and disciplining employees and assessment/appraisals; skill assessment and cross training plans; timekeeping review/approval, leave scheduling and attendance and break monitoring; safe work operation; appropriate documentation; and compensation change, promotion, termination, and employee policy recommendations. This position also serves as back-up to fellow Production Supervisors during absences.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Requires a high school diploma and at least 3 years of experience in a supervisory position or at least 3 years of experience in conveyor belting or rubber product fabrication or hose assembly or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Experience in leading and developing teams in a manufacturing environment, inspecting products, training, and using ERP systems; rubber product expertise; and post-high school education are highly preferred.
Skills and Abilities
This job requires strong leadership; decision making and problem solving; interpersonal skills including speaking and listening skills for understanding; team building; planning and organizing skills; mechanical aptitude; follow-through; and attention to detail. Ability to take appropriate action; read and interpret documents; write routine reports and correspondence; calculate figures and amounts used by department employees; use computers; apply lean manufacturing concepts; use data to make improvements; work under pressure and meet tight deadlines; motivate and develop others; handle conflict and maintain self-control; and gain advanced knowledge in products and areas managed are also needed.
In going back and forth between plant and office environments there is some exposure to heat, moderate noise, moving pieces of equipment and dust/flying particles. This position has fairly frequent interruptions requiring focus and the ability to return to tasks. Work outside of normal business hours may be required. Infrequent travel may be required for training and business reasons.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk, hear, stand, walk, sit and use his/her hands with coordination and precision to type and use a computer at regular speed and accuracy and see details at close range. There is occasional bending, reaching, pushing and pulling, and lifting and/or moving 10- 50 pounds.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Apache Inc. reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.