Senior Director Internal Audit & Compliance
The Senior Director of Internal Audit & Compliance is the leader of the Internal Audit and Compliance group within our Finance Department. Working with both management and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, the Internal Audit organization assesses risks, reviews strategy, performs audit testing and other activities to assist with the reduction of risks across the company and to enable the effectiveness, efficiency, and scalability of the company’s processes, information systems, and underlying internal control environment, including Global ICFR (SOX) initiative. The leader is also responsible for leading and coordinating Fraud and Loss Prevention efforts.
Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President Treasurer, the Senior Director Internal Audit & Compliance owns the development of the strategy, people, processes and technology to enable the achievement of the vision for the global Internal Audit organization. A proven leader who has worked in a global audit organization at a significant public company operating at scale, is adept at change management and navigating successfully in a continuously evolving environment. The right leader will enable the Internal Audit organization to continue to protect the company, help improve the business and enable the team to scale to support GPC as a Global Fortune 200 Company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build, lead and manage a high performing, global Internal Audit and Compliance function.
- Partner with executive leadership and other stakeholders on the development and implementation of GPC’s Code of Conduct & Ethics, improve the business and scale with the growth of the company.
- Partner with executive leadership, Enterprise Risk Management and other functions to develop an internal audit plan that is approved by management and the Audit Committee of the Board.
- Direct and manage a global Internal Audit organization to achieve the objectives of the approved audit plan, including the planning of audits, SOX scoping and testing, oversight of staff, execution of fieldwork, reporting of audit results and monitoring of agreed-upon management plans.
- Ensure that audit activities include the audits of business processes and information systems to confirm the Company’s assets are safeguarded, risks are appropriately mitigated, compliance with underlying policies, procedures, contracts and external regulations and the reliability and integrity of financial and operational information.
- Establish and enhance the audit approach, internal audit processes, policies and procedures that achieve organizational objectives and that are in line with regulatory and external audit requirements and best practices.
- Establish and maintain professional expectations and ensure that all audits are conducted with a proper balance of objectivity and a constructive contribution of ideas to improve controls, efficiency in the business process, and profitability.
- Work closely with Senior Vice President Treasurer and global Internal Audit team in the preparation of dashboards, KPIs, organizational reports, quarterly business reporting, external auditor reporting and reporting for the Audit Committee of the Board.
- Lead, coach, recruit and inspire a professional Global Internal Audit staff that meets the knowledge, skills, experience and professional certification requirements for current, as well as future organizational needs.
- Proactively manage the budget for the Internal Audit and Compliance organization and provide periodic updates on staffing, budgets and budget-to-actual analysis.
- Implement improvement related to Internal Audit results, along with other improvements from external assessments, benchmarking and other leading practice insights against internal audit organizations at mature public companies.
- Partner with other internal compliance functions (Fraud and Whistleblower, Compliance Readiness & Advisory, Legal, etc) and external auditors to ensure the proper coordination of Internal Audit activities with other company internal control activities and the efficiency and effectiveness of audit activities.
- Leverage and manage the use of qualified external providers to assist in the delivery of Internal Audit projects, as needed.
- Establish effective professional relationships within the audit function, internal clients, the external auditors and other third parties.
- Develop and maintain a deep professional network to identify emerging best practices, new regulations, trends, methodologies, tools & technologies to accelerate continuous improvement in the Internal Audit function.
- Assist with fraud and loss prevention investigations as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Progressive experience in public accounting, consulting, compliance, SOX and leading an Internal Audit team
- Exemplary ethics and integrity
- Strong executive presence, leadership, relationship building skills
- Problem solving and general analytical skills
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once and prioritize work
- Ability to work in ambiguous situations
- Possess confidence, flexibility and be a team player
- MS Office computer skills needed
- Accounting, Finance and/or Legal degree required
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Audit experience at a public company – global preferred
- Overnight travel may be 20-30%, or as job requires
- CPA, CIA, or CFE Designation preferred
- Internal Audit, Public Accounting or Consulting experience a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.