Division Human Resources Director
Position Mission: The Southeast Division HR Director will support operations located in multiple states: Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee. An HR Director must be an experienced professional with deep knowledge of all matters concerning the HR Department to include but not limited to talent acquisition; talent development/retention; succession planning; employee engagement; training; safety; compliance and support/development of the Field Human Resources Managers to serve as a business partner for the location management team. He/she should be able to manage programs and lead staff while also possessing a strong strategic mindset. The goal is to ensure that all HR needs of the Company are being met and are aligned with all business objectives.
- Acts as strategic business partner to assigned Division with a high degree of maturity in judgment, guidance, and action
- Develops, manages, and delegates field HR Managers with a high degree of efficiency and effectiveness to meet HR objectives.
- Have a roll-up-your-sleeves focus with business leaders to execute business processes, builds capabilities, and leads the Field HR Managers to locally deploy initiatives within their operations
- Provides leadership to management in helping define talent needs, recruit, and retain talent to meet the agreed requirements for quality of hire, time to hire and inclusive workforce metrics
- Develops recruiting and retention strategy for the region with a focus on short- and long-term staffing
- Partners across Divisions for company-wide initiatives around recruiting, technology, and analytics as needed
- Ensures all recruiting efforts comply with the Company’s Affirmative Action Program as well as state and federal laws
- Applies performance management and talent development processes to develop an accurate picture of leadership talent and development requirements, ensures execution of agreed talent development plans, succession planning, and career development
- Drives the performance management program by ensuring performance expectations and policy guidelines are being met and are conducted effectively and in a timely manner
- Leads succession and talent planning efforts for assigned Division
- Serves as a liaison with the Training Department in Atlanta
- Ensures that internal and external training programs support the most important development needs of line employees, leaders, and the company
- Drives employee development/training and monitors overall training efforts in the Division
- Provides suggestions to enhance the value of the training programs to the business.
- Coaches, counsels, mentors and supports leaders, managers and individual contributors on establishing and maintaining a high degree of employee engagement by driving appropriate cultures, mindsets and behaviors.
- Monitors and coaches management styles, practices, and behaviors so as to optimize employee morale.
- Consults on sensitive employment issues such as progressive discipline up to and including employment terminations
- Works closely with corporate Human Resources to ensure consistency with corporate policies, philosophy, and resources.
- Acts as initial contact and investigator for all charges of discrimination or employee litigation within the Division
- Assists corporate Human Resources to prepare answers to charges and with managing legal challenges to most effective close.
- Stays current on changes to company policies/procedures and employment laws for assigned Division
- Interprets questions and provides guidance regarding human resources policies, procedures, and benefits.
- Ensures the company’s compliance with federal, state, and the relevant local jurisdictions’ legislative requirements and changes pertaining to all human resources matters
- Conducts semi-annual audits of all regional locations to ensure:
- Compliance with all employment laws and company policies, including EEO, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, HazMat, OSHA, Compensation and Safety Program Compliance
- Aids in the investigation and resolution of all Division Network reports
- Implements programs/training/practices that effectively address patterns of poor behavior in employees and leadership
- Partners with Field HR Managers and business leadership in the development of engagement action plans based on their Employee Opinion Survey results in alignment with their future business needs & trends
- Drives changes through the development and implementation of people strategies that enable the organization to thrive.
- Consults with business leaders to initiate change and implications and designs the processes and systems to sustain the change
- Reviews and makes actionable recommendations to business leaders and Corporate Human Resources for improvement of the company’s policies, procedures and practices, and risk management, related to all personnel matters
- Leverages data analysis to proactively identify issues within the business and develops plans to address and minimize disruption
- Leads, develops, and delivers functional projects, as assigned, on time and within budget
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education, and Abilities:
- 5-8 years in Human Resources Management experience in a Director/Regional role with multi-site / multi-state responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or business-related discipline plus PHR / SPHR, or equivalent experience required
- Ability to use Microsoft Office suite of products, PeopleSoft (or other ERP HRIS system), performance management systems, and other HR-related applications
- Experience supporting senior level leaders is a must
- Strong people management experience developing and growing the HR team
- Experience in developing and implementing HR strategies that align with business goals in the areas of recruitment and retention; people development; employee relations and compliance
- Demonstrated ability to gather, manipulate, and produce reports from various data sources, then analyze and develop suggested actions
- Must exhibit excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to manage and collaborate within multiple levels of an organization
- Strong internal and external customer focus
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to conduct group facilitation, and coach and counsel management at all levels.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to investigate and problem solve with solid conflict management skills
- Written presentation materials must be effectively written, have proper grammar and punctuation, and deliver a concise message – all while holding the reader’s attention
- Ability to manage and analyze multiple priorities and activities and organize and plan for long and short-term projects
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information
- Strong business acumen
- Demonstrated strong drive and responsiveness
- Drives environments that fuel excellence, holds high standards, and takes a practical, but innovative approach to human capital
- Confident thought leader and decision maker with courage to challenge others
- Results driven individual capable of high level of execution
- Successfully implement programs to employee populations that are disperse and numbering 1000+
- Up-to-date working knowledge of all applicable Federal and State employment laws and regulations
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Work is performed in typical office environment 50% of time. Other 50% spent in warehouse or store environment where there is exposure to fumes or airborne particles, occasionally exposed to cold, hot and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Travel is required between 50% - 70% of the time to distribution centers/stores, headquarters, and/or to attend conferences.
Where permitted by applicable law, successful applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to start date. COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment, subject to an approved accommodation, and proof of vaccination will be required on or prior to start date.
GPC conducts its business without regard to sex, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, military status, status as a veteran, or any other protected characteristic. GPC's policy is to recruit, hire, train, promote, assign, transfer and terminate employees based on their own ability, achievement, experience and conduct and other legitimate business reasons.