Compensation / Benefits Manager
The S.P. Richards Company is a North American leader in business product wholesale. We equip reseller customers with an expansive inventory of office furniture, business technology products, cleaning and breakroom supplies, copy paper, and printer supplies – virtually everything they need to become the one-stop shop for all of our customers’ needs. In addition, S.P Richards provides a comprehensive offering of value-added sales and marketing programs, leading edge online content and search tools, nationwide distribution capabilities, advanced logistics technology, and sophisticated margin management and data analytics programs to help our customers in today’s competitive business environment. We pride ourselves on our ability and enthusiasm to collaborate with clients to design a customized program to help them achieve their business and operational objectives.
Not many companies doing business today can claim a heritage like ours-- with over 160 years old of business excellence. While the company is proud of its history, it is also even more excited about its future. Today S. P. Richards Company is a privately held, leading national business products wholesaler that distributes more than 98,000 products to 9,000 resellers and distributors throughout the United States from a network of 44 locations. Its core U.S. operations offer products and services in four primary product categories, including general office products, technology products and accessories, office furniture and JanSan to national and independent business products resellers and janitorial supply distributors.
Work Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
We serve a critical role in the office products industry supply chain:
- Providing resellers with the inventory, logistics, sales, and marketing support they need to support our business customers
- Providing vendor partners with the marketing and distribution expertise that helps promote and sell their products
- Providing the industry system providers with the data and online content and product information necessary to equip mutual customers with tools to operate efficiently and profitably
The company has approximately 1500 employees throughout the United States. It is owned by a group of industry leaders who envision a new, industry-changing alignment and partnership among manufacturers, wholesalers, and resellers. This represents a shift in the traditional industry supply chain that will eliminate redundant costs and help all partners become more competitive. The company is focused on strengthening its mutually beneficial partnerships and driving long-term, sustainable value creation. By building a stronger and more competitive distribution business, S.P. Richards is well-positioned to capture greater market share and capitalize on opportunities to create value and help its customers succeed.
We invite you to learn more about our company by visiting http://www.sprichards.com
Our company is experiencing tremendous growth and we invite you to come join our team! To address the needs our employee base, the Compensation/ Benefits Manager will play an impactful role in administering the Company’s payroll and benefits programs. He /she will have a tremendous, hands-on opportunity to serve all levels of employees in this successful and friendly organization. This position is available to someone with an attitude of self-leadership, a keen ability to view the details as well as the broad perspective on Company policies, and someone who can adeptly administer payroll and benefit plans.
This is a unique opportunity to be mentored by top professionals in leadership roles as you continue building your Human Resources career. This will be a servant leader role where you have the opportunity to serve the needs of the S. P. Richards employee base in meaningful ways.
Our company is known for its visionary leadership and dynamic culture of stability and longevity. This is an important role within S.P. Richards Company with the ability to contribute to the long-term growth plans of the company while being treated as a valuable part of the Human Resources Team.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Compensation / Benefits Manager is a critical role in the Company whose primary responsibility is to maintain employee data systems, manage the payroll process for multiple sites, and lead annual enrollment and administration of employee benefits. He/ She will develop and distribute effective communication about payroll, benefits, compensation, and other associate-related programs.
We seek a kind and caring person who is passionate about serving the Company’s Associates with questions and concerns regarding payroll and benefits. This role also actively communicates and collaborates with Operations, Accounting, HR, and Billing to review cross-departmental impacts and reconcile data sharing. He / She will work with the Company’s Auditors for payroll, 401K, and benefits reporting.
Additionally, the Compensation / Benefits Manager will ensure systems are set up and updated to reflect current employee base (wages, benefits, sick and vacation time) and manage benefits administration and eligibility. This also encompasses working with benefits administrators to ensure appropriate Associate service and coverage.
Responsibilities also include the preparation of management reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, retention, and other important employee statistics.) Other duties include:
- Manage and guarantee disbursement of multi-state payroll to employees consistent with all federal, state and hourly laws, garnishments, benefits and taxes
- Execute multiple facets of payroll payments (hourly, daily, salary, exempt, commissions, etc.)
- Manage all deductions to ensure accurate amounts (insurance, 401K, etc.); audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets and YTD earnings
- Manage year-end compensation cycle, including systems, reporting, statements, audits, training, and performance management aspects ensuring compliance with compensation guidelines/philosophy and ensuring consistency of related practices within the broader organization
- Lead the process for evaluating new jobs, determining appropriate salary band and title assignment based on findings
- Manage the HRIS database for payroll, benefits and personal employee data to include accurate and timely processing and management of personnel files: new hires, compensation changes, transfers, promotions, terminations
- Enhance the employee’s experience with SPR’s Human Resources by delivering excellent / responsive and caring answers to their benefits inquiries
- Investigate and resolve issues, as they arise
- Respond to inquiries for vacation and other paid time off
- Develop and deliver employee education regarding benefits and program enrollment
- Oversee preparation and submission of employment filings and activities - employment verification, unemployment forms, manage EEO, AAP, DOL salary survey and other reporting; salary surveys to review alignment of compensation to marketplace
The ideal candidate will have 5 - 7+ years of experience and be a subject matter expert in compensation, payroll and benefits administration and communication. Specifically, we seek a candidate with:
- Demonstrated experience with payroll technology – PayCom experience, a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (emphasis in Excel and data base technology report development and analysis). Metric development and interpretation, i.e. regression studies, ratios, and correlation
- Experience in compensation processes, studies, and compliance recommendations
- Demonstrated experience of federal, state, and local payroll tax and payroll laws
- Experience administering a benefits plan including the enhancements of benefit plans and plan communications
- Familiarity with the transition of an organization’s HR records, prior systems conversion experience, a plus
- Solid verbal and written communication skills sufficient to do group presentations and formulate communication needs
- Strong analytical skills and a passion for continuous improvement
- Payroll and benefits certification, a plus!
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of effective judgement and possess high standards of work ethic – with a “roll up your sleeves” approach to getting work done. This person should be a team-oriented person with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of an organization.
The ideal candidate must be proactive with a passion to help others and collaborate across the Company. They must be a good listener and rapport builder with excellent communication skills and a professional demeanor. Additionally, the candidate will have demonstrated the following characteristics:
- Friendly, energized, engaging, and solutions-oriented
- Exceptional organizational skills with the capability of setting and managing multiple priorities
- Highly developed human relations skills; a team player and highly capable of working with and respecting people at all levels of the organization
- Sets high work standards and leads by example possessing uncompromising ethics and integrity
Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Business Administration or Human Resources Management, required.
Our company offers an attractive compensation package that includes a competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.