Bioinformatics Scientist I
Good Start Genetics, Inc. is seeking a highly motivated Bioinformatics Scientist I with significant experience in computational biology and software development to build software to help aide in the interpretation of large scale genomic data sets. The individual filling this position will serve as an integral developer of the computational/analytic tools and analysis pipelines associated with high-throughput genetic technologies under development or running in Good Start’s clinical laboratory. He or she will work as part of cross-functional teams composed of engineers and experimental and computational biologists.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently design and conduct analyses of genomic data.
- Build robust and scalable software (e.g. pipelines) to process large genomic data sets both locally on an HPC cluster and in the cloud.
- Work closely with more experimentally focused scientists and clinical geneticists to help push forward key company objectives.
- Help support clinical and laboratory team in the processing of next generation DNA sequencing data.
- Utilize statistical techniques to aide in the interpretation of quantitative genomic data.
- Apply rigorous scientific and engineering standards to your specialized knowledge and skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Education (PhD or MA/MS/ME) and experience in a quantitatively focused field (e.g. bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, bioengineering, statistics, or mathematics), or commensurate experience with a proven ability to function in a role with this level of responsibility.
- 1+ years of programming experience with Python (preferred) or another interpreted language (e.g. Perl or Ruby). Experience with other languages is a plus (including at least one compiled language).
- Experience and comfort working in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Experience building software to run on AWS EC2 system or another cloud-based system.
- Comfort with best practices in software engineering a strong plus.
- Experience performing quantitative analyses on large genomic datasets.
- Understanding of molecular biology and human genetics / genomics highly desirable.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Proven teamwork and leadership skills. High creativity. Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Industry or production next generation DNA sequencing experience (e.g., product development and commercialization) a plus.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a benefits package that includes: Medical, Dental, Life and Disability insurance, 401(k) plan, bonus plan, paid vacation and holidays.
Be part of a team providing best in class patient care, one test at a time, by submitting your resume and cover letter using the link below.
Good Start Genetics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.