Patient Account Specialist
The Patient Account Specialist reports to the Team Leaders or Section Leaders. The Patient Account Specialist is responsible for executing all duties for the Patient Statement Process which includes: taking all inbound phone calls, researching patient issues, collecting from the patients, transitioning past due patient accounts to outside collections, responding to all patient inquiries via fax/email/calls, processing financial assistance and processing all correspondence.
Hours: Monday - Friday from 10:30 am - 7 pm
High School Diploma or GED required
Associate’s degree in Business Administration or related field preferred
1-2 years of Customer Service experience- required
2 years Medical Billing experience preferred
Medical insurance billing and claims processing preferred
CPAR – Certified Patient Account Representative preferred
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
Hands on knowledge of CPT and ICD codes
Excellent phone, communication, organizational skills, computer skills and mathematical skills
Ability to maintain patient confidentiality
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Preferred
Epic or eClinicalWorks experience
Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word
Essential functions are those tasks, duties and responsibilities that comprise the means of accomplishing the job’s purpose and objectives. Essential functions are critical or fundamental to the performance of the job. They are the major functions for which the person in the job is held accountable. Following are the essential functions of the job.
• Maintain Daily communication with Team Leaders/Section Leaders
• Maintain a high level customer service approach to working with Accounts Receivable Specialists, payors
• Establish and maintain a high level customer service approach to working with all patients
• PAS will work each call to it’s conclusion including but not limited to working with other teams to research,
review and respond to the patient’s needs and provide follow up within 24 hour period.
• PAS will be responsible for assigned reports that will be completed in the allotted time-frame. This will
include but not limited to Bankruptcies, Death notifications, Agency Referral, Hold Reports, Cancellation
reports, Payment Plan reports, statement requests, address mail changes and any other report that will
need to be worked to complete patient record.
• PAS will be responsible for collecting unpaid balances
• PAS will be responsible for processing credit card payments.
• PAS are responsible for updating patient demographic information from returned mail and address
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
Customer service skills:
• Ability to represent the Department in a professional manner when interacting with patients, guests,
physicians and their staff
• Ability to handle service issues professionally
• Ability to follow through with customers
• Ability to communicate effectively to patients about their medical conditions and the financial aspects of
• Ability to type proficiently
• Ability to function effectively as extension of the Center
• Be flexible and open-minded in thought processes
• Maintain focus under pressure
• Share relevant information with other employees
• Volunteer to assist others when time permits
Medical Terminology & Insurance
• Ability to understand basic medical terminology
• Ability to calculate deductible and co-insurance correctly
• Ability to read and understand carrier Explanation of Benefits
All other duties as assigned.
Note: this job description is not inclusive of all the duties of the position. You may be asked by leaders to perform other duties. Management reserves the right to revise this position description at any time.