The Underwriter III (AG) will be responsible for underwriting new business farm, ranch, and equine risks, including related optional coverages in support of profitable growth initiatives. The individual will work with Retail and Managing General Agents to establish a primary carrier position within the agency while developing a book of business populated with target risks. Develop strategic, operational and tactical plan with each agent that are designed to achieve and exceed established goals. Travel to key agents and remain highly visible in the insurance marketplace Products may include but are not limited to agriculture production operations, equestrian operations, horse owner liability & farm management risk.
The Underwriter III works under broadening direction and authority limits including more complex accounts and has developed significant technical knowledge in farm underwriting and/or companies products.
- Manage profitable agency relationships by evaluating results and conducting portfolio reviews for assigned territory and individual agencies, developing integrated pictures of factors that affect profitability and growth and recommending, implementing, and monitoring necessary action plans. Participates in producer reviews and implements resulting action or development plans.
- Examine, identify, assess and evaluate individual risks by analyzing exposures from various sources (e.g. application, diagrams, inspection reports, riskmeter, google earth, risk websites, etc.) to make appropriate underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within assigned territory. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws.
- Provide timely, articulate, and consistent responses for quoting, writing and renewing business within prescribed Underwriting Authority granted by the Company.
- Travel regularly to assigned agents to build relationships with agents and other individuals and entities within the agriculture and equestrian marketplace to assure a steady stream of valuable and actionable competitive intelligence.
- Regularly monitor results (including conducting audits) at a variety of levels and recommend the appropriate business development or rehabilitation/correction strategy.
- Train agents on proper procedures, product knowledge and underwriting guidelines.
- Analyze claim reports and pre-underwriting reviews to determine action to be taken on renewal business.
- Analyze assigned agent’s portfolios for premium production and loss experience and recommend ways to improve their results.
- Ability to work in an electronic workflow environment (i.e. ImageRight or similar software) to process underwriting decisions, store underwriting documents and document the underwriting thought process.
- Collaborates with team members to manage workflow, work inventories and all production activities to provide accurate and timely service in accordance with corporate service standards.
- Provide support for business requirements for automated underwriting system.
- 4+ years of property and casualty underwriting experience including experience in underwriting farm, ranch, equine package accounts and related coverages.
- Developed knowledge of the Equine/Equestrian property, inland marine, care custody or control, liability, commercial auto and excess liability lines of business.
- Experience working with wholesale brokers preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Professional designations (CPCU, AU, AFIS etc.) are a plus
- Technical expertise acquired in practical related settings, e.g., agriculture industry, competitive or recreational riding, veterinary office, or boarding or riding lesson facility, etc. a plus
- Familiar with basic compliance and regulatory requirements with respect to filings, cancellation and non-renewal of policies, deletion of coverages, risk specific rate changes, manuscript endorsements, or non-disclosure or misrepresentation.
- General working knowledge of competitors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required; The ability to market American Reliable products to agents is essential
- Excellent organizational and time management abilities.
- Demonstrates strong presentation and negotiation skills.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Ability to download company VPN software onto a personal computing device for remote work as necessary
- The ability to travel in the future
Global Indemnity Group celebrates and supports differences. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees, customers and communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.