Underwriting Analyst I (hybid)
provides specialty property and casualty insurance for small to middle-market businesses – and we’re on a mission to the best-in-class while achieving steady, profitable growth. Our guiding principles include the core belief that our people are number one. We also strongly emphasize a customer-centric mentality and disciplined underwriting practices. Our work environment is flexible, friendly, and collaborative, with plenty of opportunities to take charge of your career.
What GBLI offers you:
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- Professional development opportunities (including a mentorship program)
- Educational assistance program, which covers up to $5,250 in educational costs per year
- Comprehensive health insurance plan (with vision and dental)
- No-cost health insurance plan available
- Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with up to 6% company match and immediate vesting
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Company-sponsored social events
- Various committees to get involved in, which include our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, Charitable Giving Committee, and Employee Wellness Committee
The Underwriting Analyst I position is part of a recently formed team in the Underwriting Department designed to embed analytics into the business and reports up through the Chief Underwriting and Analytics Officer. As an Underwriting Analyst I in the Underwriting Department, you will have the opportunity to work with all Business Leaders on various projects. Assignments will include: Designing and maintaining an underwriting alert platform in PowerBI. This will include working with Underwriting and Product to understand metrics that they want to be alerted on and analyze and adjust as needed. Adapt tool to alert on various thresholds as needed. Gain deep understanding of company operations products and be able to evaluate and communicate benefits of data (both internal and external) to all areas of the company. Work with data of various formats, troubleshooting data quality issues with IT to improve data quality and data warehouse structure. Additionally, assist in evaluating suitability of third party data.
Essential Duties & Functions:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specifically, this role will be responsible for:
- Designing and maintaining an underwriting alert platform using Microsoft Power BI.
- Work with stakeholders to understand key metrics and how they impact the business.
- Update metrics as needed using new trends in data and input from outside stakeholders.
- Developing underwriting and profitability performance metrics alerts for senior management
- UW and Project integration team in various data projects related to new third party data underwriting initiatives. Pull and evaluate new data sources and compile various data requests.
- Troubleshoot problems with data warehouse and work with IT on developing a solution.
- Excellent analytical, data, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in quantitative field required
- 1-3 years’ experience in a quantitative position in Property and Casualty insurance company required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, etc.) a must.
- Programming experience in one of the following languages a must (e.g. SQL, Python,R).
- Experience with Microsoft’s PowerBI (or comparable software) a plus but not required
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Actuarial Exams are not a requirement for this position nor will exam support be provided.
- Knowledge of various underwriting terminology as it relates Property and Casualty a plus
Global Indemnity Group celebrates and supports differences. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees, customers and communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.