Chief Technology Officer & SVP
This is an officer-level position reporting to the Chief Operations Officer responsible for the overall strategy, planning, design, development, implementation, and operations of the Information Technology department within our organization. In this position, you will oversee the IT function including hardware operations, maintenance, software evaluation and acquisition, applications analysis and programming, security and standards, voice and data networks and strategies and end user support.
- Align technology strategy (including data, architecture, development, security, and IT integration) with company insurance business mission and vision.
- Define and build the corporate technology portfolio by steering policy development, governance, and technology agenda.
- Create and maintain a customer centric, team based IT department aligned and responsive to customer needs.
- Maintain real time cutting edge knowledge of best in class IT vendors; foster productive and proactive relationships with existing and prospective vendors for enhancement of company overall IT delivery.
- Maintain consistent 360 degree communication with company department heads to understand existing and future IT needs and set realistic and attainable objectives with each head; understand the opportunities and challenges of a diverse set of end users and how IT can create cost effective business solutions.
- Continuously drive innovation in technology solutions and business processes.
- Select, develop and empower functional leadership of the IT department including infrastructure, security, application development and support; use organizational total rewards programs effectively to drive individual and team performance.
- Partner with the Human Resources department to create and maintain a department culture of high engagement, high performance, and employee development.
- Seek and deliver feedback from all levels of the organization on IT needs and wants.
- Foster an environment within IT of open communication and feedback. Ensure every member of the IT department understands how their objectives tie into the overall department’s.
- Maintain accountability of an IT budget; continuously assess creative ways to add strategic value within budget realities.
- Successfully ensure legacy systems are integrated with cutting edge technology; continuously seek opportunities to retire legacy systems.
- Maintain final accountability for all system security and system performance for organization; plan for hardware, software and storage requirements; act with appropriate urgency on performance issues.
- Partner with line of business heads and data analytics to ensure company data visualization tools meet requirements and add value in decision making.
- 10+ years of progressive management responsibility in the Information Technology field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with board members, department heads, direct and indirect reports.
- Strong knowledge and experience with a variety of technological architectures, hardware and software platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead high performing functional IT teams; integrate infrastructure, development, security and support into a cohesive high performing unit.
- Strong hands on background in networking, infrastructure and security; understanding of software development principles and methodologies.
- Ability to think and plan strategically and innovatively.
- Demonstrated ability to execute high-profile corporate initiatives.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Proven personal leadership skills with an ability to collaborate and maintain relationships throughout the company.
- Current knowledge of technological trends in the insurance and broader financial services industries; thirst for knowledge in cutting edge technology and how it can be integrated into company’s existing technological stack.
- Ability to attract, retain, and develop talent for the IT function; follow, understand, and act on trends in employee turnover.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred; MBA of other advanced degree a plus; Industry designations such as CISSP, CAPM, CGIT, etc. preferred.