Underwriter - Excess Casualty (Midwest region)
provides specialty property and casualty insurance for small to middle-market businesses – and we’re on a mission to the best-in-class while achieving steady, profitable growth. Our guiding principles include the core belief that our people are number one. We also strongly emphasize a customer-centric mentality and disciplined underwriting practices. Our work environment is flexible, friendly, and collaborative, with plenty of opportunities to take charge of your career.
What GBLI offers you:
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- Professional development opportunities (including a mentorship program)
- Educational assistance program, which covers up to $5,250 in educational costs per year
- Comprehensive health insurance plan (with vision and dental)
- No-cost health insurance plan available
- Life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with up to 6% company match and immediate vesting
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Company-sponsored social events
- Various committees to get involved in, which include our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, Charitable Giving Committee, and Employee Wellness Committee
The Underwriter – Excess Casualty underwrites new and renewal Excess Casualty (construction, manufacturing, real estate, hospitality) business. Manage wholesale broker relationships in the Midwest Territory in support of profitable growth objectives. This individual will develop strategic, operational and tactical plans that are designed to achieve and exceed established goals. Relationship management is of critical importance and determined by where Global Indemnity position of prominence sits within each appointed agency.
This candidate must demonstrate a strong customer focus with a sense of urgency balanced with core property & casualty technical skills that enables this individual to underwrite individual risks with speed, accuracy, and prudent decision acumen.
- Review, price, and manage Excess Casualty renewal business in accordance with company guidelines.
- Select, price, quote, and decline new business in accordance with company underwriting guidelines.
- Respond to endorsement requests from existing accounts.
- Provide quick response time on new business submissions and same day turn-around on phone calls and emails.
- Travel regularly to assigned brokers.
- Develop and maintain collaborative business relationships with appointed brokers to foster the generation of profitable business.
- Accountability for the production and loss ratio performance of assigned brokers.
- Educate brokers on GBLI Excess Casualty products.
- 6-10 years Property and Casualty Underwriting experience required including five years of Excess Casualty.
- Experience working with wholesale brokers in the Midwest.
- Overnight travel within territory to meet with brokers will be required (approximately 10-20%); the ability to efficiently plan/manage broker visits and travel time will be essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required; The ability to market Global Indemnity products to brokers is essential.
- Excellent analytical skills required.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team with other underwriters will be needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Professional designations (CPCU, AU, ETC.) are a plus
- Insurance rating experience is plus.
- Strong computer skills are a necessity. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to work independently and remote as necessary
Global Indemnity Group celebrates and supports differences. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees, customers and communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.