Underwriting Interns - Summer 2022
We are seeking to hire interns that are eager to learn the fundamentals of property & casualty underwriting in the fast paced environment of the Surplus Lines segment. This sector of the insurance industry is robust where every risk is uniquely different and not your usual homogenous “in the box” type of business.
Global Indemnity Group offers a broad array of insurance and reinsurance products and services to meet the needs of a diverse customer base. Our operating divisions, Penn-America Group®, Diamond State Group®, United National Group®, American Reliable Insurance Company, VacantExpress.com®, Collectibles Insurance Services, and Global Indemnity Reinsurance are providers of specialty property, and casualty coverage for specialty risks, programs, and niches that are generally not offered by standard insurance and reinsurance companies. Each of our operating divisions targets specific markets and distribution channels, providing the company and our agents opportunities and flexibility in conducting business. Visit www.globalindemnity.com to learn more about our products and services.
In these roles, the intern will gain valuable, practical and fundamental commercial underwriting experience that can be applied to any future underwriting career path. Our interns will rotate across our non-admitted commercial underwriting units as well as our specialty casualty and specialty property groups.
Responsibilities & Duties may include the following:
- Learning fundamental principles of property & casualty underwriting
- Gaining understanding of the wholesale distribution channel
- Obtaining exposure to the Surplus Lines industry of freedom of rate and form
- Gaining perspective on how to research and gather facts on individual risks in order to evaluate the risk’s operations and how it impacts underwriting decisions
- Evaluating, assessing and applying core underwriting techniques to individual risks to determine acceptance, declination or modification of terms in accordance with established company guidelines
- Underwriting and handling endorsement requests, premium audits issues, cancellation and reinstatements, etc.
- Shadowing experienced underwriters and underwriting assistants
- Ordering of property inspections and working with underwriters to triage risks
- Working collaboratively with other underwriters in the unit to maintain our service response time standard
- Prompt response to phone calls and emails
- Potential in-city travel to accompany a production underwriter in their marketing calls
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements & Qualifications
- Pursing Bachelors’ degree with insurance or business concentration; ideal candidate will have completed Junior year, but open to other classes as well
- Prior experience in insurance and or general business a plus
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, etc.) Willingness and ability to learn new applications quickly
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to interact professionally with a wide variety of individuals
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
Global Indemnity Group celebrates and supports differences. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees, customers and communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.