Vice President, Underwriting - Professional Liability
This position will be responsible for managing the underwriting and agency management function for the company’s Professional Liability product including a small and growing team of production underwriters. Assist the segment leadership with establishing growth and profitability objectives for the product, and subsequently drive and manage underwriters towards those objectives. Ensure the continued relationship management with a large plant of wholesale and or retail agents by ensuring communication and service from underwriters. Assist with the establishment of underwriting authority limits for both underwriting staff and wholesale MGAs. Assist with the appointment and or termination of agents. Select, train, develop, and coach underwriting staff; ensuring regular communication and feedback.
Position & Responsibilities:
- Assist with managing pricing objectives, profit improvement, profit improvement opportunities and combined ratio results for the professional liability products
- Manage the activities of the Professional Lines underwriting staff to maintain quality service, and compliance of underwriting guidelines, eligibility and rating standards. Identify educational needs and direct and instigate appropriate training for the staff.
- Direct the underwriting risk section and underwriting process, planning, reporting, forecasting and business development for the products
- Develop, update and implement Professional Liability underwriting guidelines and issue/maintain letters of underwriting authority for staff
- Provide leadership, technical advice, council and expertise in the development of the underwriting staff.
- Collaborate with the company’s Product, Actuarial, Reinsurance, Systems, Claims and Legal functions on the selection and renewal of profitable business
- Manage underwriting accountability through several direct reports; and develop key contacts with high quality wholesale agents, reinsurance carriers and intermediaries
- Participate in forming recommendations for the strategic direction of the professional lines of business.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- A minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in Property & Casualty underwriting with extensive experience in the underwriting and marketing of experience in the underwriting and marketing of Professional Liability (Lawyer’s Professional Liability, Architects & Engineers, Real Estate etc. through wholesale and/or retail broker distribution systems. Demonstrated ability to underwrite, price and negotiate business in accordance with established guidelines, procedures and strategies.
- Developed technical knowledge of underwriting, product design, rating and pricing supporting a proven record of profitable underwriting in a multi-line environment
- Strong agency management experience with strong relationships with the wholesale brokerage community
- Ability to analyze individual risks for profit opportunity and provide underwriting solutions, through creativity and vision to design coverage that can appropriately respond to a specific line of business, class or customer need.
- Possess an in-depth working intelligence of current business issues within the wholesale broker and excess and surplus lines community.
- Ability to work effectively and advise segment leader in business planning, new product design, distribution channels and broker evaluation and selection.
- “Hands-on” ability to direct, manage and influence the underwriting process to support coverage design required as outlined by the strategies and underwriting philosophy.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, with strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management quality.
- High energy, with a desire to be a team player capable of interacting with a variety of individuals internally and externally.
- Proven ability at negotiating and reviewing contracts and policy terms.
- Prior management experience leading a high performing underwriting team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; related professional designations preferred (e.g. CPCU, RPLU, etc.)
- Overnight travel within territory will be required (approximately 10-20%)
Global Indemnity Group celebrates and supports differences. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees, customers and communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.