Sr. Vice President, Professional Lines
In this senior leadership position, this individual is responsible for the creation, management and oversight of the professional and management liability products, including growth and pricing objectives, short and long-term profitability management, implementing and executing profitable growth initiatives, system and process modernization, staff management and development, and strategic product guidance for the entire organization’s professional writings. Have final accountability for the selection and development of the entire group of wholesale appointed agents for this segment by ensuring communication and service from underwriters and underwriting management. Select, train, develop, and coach management staff; ensuring regular communication and feedback. Be able to identify early talent in the department and ensure it is cultivated through a sound reward and development program administered by middle management.
Position & Responsibilities:
- Create and manage pricing objectives, profit improvement, profit improvement opportunities and combined ratio results for the entire Professional Lines Underwriting Division
- Direct the underwriting risk section and underwriting process, planning, reporting, forecasting and business development for the lines of business
- Provide leadership, technical advice, council and expertise in the development of the underwriting management staff; have final accountability for all personnel activities within the division including mentoring, coaching, developing and hiring staff. Be able to accurately plan for, and budget staff at appropriate levels
- Partner with the Human Resources department to create and maintain a department culture of high engagement, high performance, and employee development.
- Maintain awareness of prevailing products and appetites in the Professional Lines business marketplace; maintain competitor analysis and subsequently direct with Product on necessary new products and modifications to existing products; ensure continuous 360 feedback between Product and Underwriting for this segment
- Manage underwriting accountability through regional underwriting directors
- Have final responsibility for individual agent relationships at the highest level. Develop key contacts with high quality wholesale agents, reinsurance carriers and intermediaries
- Form recommendations for the strategic direction of the Professional Lines of business and present to Company leadership.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- 15+ experience in Property & Casualty underwriting and/or product management with extensive experience in the underwriting and marketing of Directors & Officers (D&O), Management Liability, Errors & Omissions (E&O) and Professional Liability (Lawyer’s Professional Liability, Architects & Engineers, etc.) products through wholesale and/or retail broker distribution systems.
- Extensive experience leading high performing underwriting &/or similar teams, including experience managing managers.
- Developed technical knowledge of underwriting, product design, rating and pricing supporting a proven record of profitable underwriting in a multi-line environment
- Strong agency management experience with strong relationships with the wholesale brokerage community; ability to work with and understand agent protocols, methods of conducting business, personalities, etc. in various parts of the country. Ability to interact effectively with agents in a wide variety of methods (from the formal office meeting, to company sponsored agent events, social, recreational events as needed, etc.)
- Exceptional analytical & data-driven capabilities, mindset, and problem-solving skills; ability to see the value in data visualization tools and use such tools to make sound business decisions
- Use analytical tools to identify the root cause of underwriting missed opportunities and improvement areas at the strategic level. Work with various departments such as actuarial, product and IT on solutions; implement such solutions through middle management
- Possess an in-depth working intelligence of current business issues within the management and Professional Lines industry and broker community.
- Have accountability for staff organization in business planning, new product design, distribution channels and broker evaluation and selection.
- Demonstrated flexibility to react to ever-changing environments and market conditions. Demonstrated innovator not satisfied with the status quo, who actively seeks new or better methods of competence.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills, with strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management quality.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; Industry designations such as AU, CPCU, RPLU, etc. are a plus.
- Ability to travel nationally on a regular basis