Senior Director, Corporate Counsel (Claims, Compliance and Employment)
Legal | Seattle
Who You Are:
You are an attorney with extensive knowledge and experience managing global claims and litigation and providing relevant legal advice to business partners on employment and compliance matters. You have the ability to effectively educate and train on a variety of topics, including proactively developing solutions to systemic and recurrent issues in your subject matter areas while driving continuous improvement. This position requires the ability to effectively manage and coordinate with other legal team members and outside counsel to achieve positive results. You are a person of integrity with a willingness and ability to learn, be curious, proactive, while seeking out challenges and taking risks. This role is key in providing strategic input and oversight in support of global strategies for compliance, claims and employment matters. You must have the ability to maintain composure and a sense of humor in the face of unexpected challenges. Enthusiasm for the job while leading and inspiring a team are imperative. This role is best suited for individuals who have the ability to work with minimal on-site supervision and are comfortable reporting to a remote manager.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide global strategy and partner with global colleagues on the legal team on disputes and litigation
- Monitor all global litigation matters and report to General Counsel and Finance personnel any material matters and financial contingencies related to pending or threatened litigation.
- Advise management regarding matters that may include or evolve into litigation risk.
- Partner with commercial teams to drive resolution of commercial disputes prior to litigation and without outside counsel involvement.
- Directly manage or supervise outside counsel related to litigation matters including contract disputes and third-party subpoenas.
- Preparation of company personnel for depositions and trial.
- Oversight and attendance at trials, mediations and depositions.
- Manage costs and fees related to litigation in line with budgetary requirements.
- Oversight of internal litigation processes including legal holds, document collection and e-discovery.
- Advising senior management, Human Resources and other members of the legal team with respect to all US employment law issues, including business restructuring, employment policy development and application, worker classification, workforce management, discrimination and harassment claims, and wage-and-hour.
- Oversee, conduct and provide counsel on internal investigations of employment-related, compliance and other types of complaints, ensuring that claims are addressed promptly, thoroughly and appropriately.
- Partner with finance and other stakeholders to drives global compliance programs in keeping with best practices and Getty Images practices and policies.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with in-house clients and customers.
- Occasional travel required.
- Desired 10+ years relevant experience with litigation and disputes, employment and compliance matters; experience with IP litigation preferred.
- Familiarity with IP licensing and technology transactions a strong preference
- Juris Doctorate and member in good standing with the State Bar (NY or CA a plus)
- Prior knowledge and experience negotiating and drafting contracts and settlement agreements, with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to interact with senior legal and business leaders internally and externally.
- Critical analysis skills related to identifying and solving problems in a busy environment.
- Experience working with and training non-legal colleagues.
- Ability to effectively and persuasively communicate complex issues and strategies with employees at all levels, including senior executives.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Advanced team leadership skills.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to balance business needs with legal risks.
- Well-organized self-starter able to exercise sound judgment and provide legal advice in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Ability to independently deliver results, multi-task and prioritize work based on company/client priorities and strategic goals
- Ability to work productively in an evolving environment.
- Completes work with professionalism and integrity.
Who We Are:
Getty Images is one of the most trusted and esteemed sources of visual content in the world, with over 300 million assets including photos, videos, and music, available through its industry-leading sites www.gettyimages.com and www.istock.com. The Getty Images website serves creative, business and media customers in nearly every country in the world and is the first-place people turn to discover, purchase and share powerful visual content from the world’s best photographers and videographers. Getty Images works with over 250,000 contributors and hundreds of image partners to provide comprehensive coverage of more than 160,000 news, sport and entertainment events each year, impactful creative imagery to communicate any commercial concept and the world’s deepest digital archive of historic photography.
Getty Images is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Getty Images believes that diversity is critical to our success in moving the world with images and is committed to creating an inclusive, mutually respectful environment which celebrates diversity. We seek to hire on the basis of merit, competence, performance, and business needs.